Not finished by me but I admire it

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Not finished by me but I admire it

Post by gonandkarl » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 am

Hi,
It is only the second time that I post in Finished Boats. As the title says it is not finished by me but by a facebook friend living and sailing in Germany. It is an 18 minute movie about his Winter project building a tender for his big sail boat from Autumn till now. My friend Ernst is showing such high quality boat building by an amateur and therefore it is worth seeing and even that the talk in the film is in German I think all you bateau friends might want to see it.

https://vimeo.com/259743672

Enjoy it and greetings from Karl

All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Not finished by me but I admire it

Post by cape man » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:28 am

Beautiful!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:47 am

Karl, Deeply evocative. Great job by your friend.

I know you're considering building JM's MI12 round chine. For some time I've been pondering how to build her in lapstrake, when Skinnydip is finished.

However, I know that to do so, I'll be one my own.

So for me it may be more sensible to go with an Iain Oughtred design row boat and instruction manual, like your friend, from the get go. Each time I see an Oughtred design afloat, my heart misses a beat.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 am

Yikes, Karl, now you've done it. Great film.
I'm with glossieblack 100%.
I myself considered a build like this but didn't for a few reasons:
1) This forum. I am not aware of anything like it on the web with such a knowledgeable and supportive group of characters. This by itself is a huge confidence boost when you're building a boat for the first time.
2) I became convinced that any project like this would take much more time and money and weigh a lot more while not being as strong as my V10. I may have been wrong about the money, don't know. As to weight, the specs he gives at the end are 2.2 meters and 40 kilos. My V10 is almost 3' longer but the weight stated in the plans is about the same. Of course my finished boat weighs 57 kilos, well above Jacques' design weight, which doesn't include fairing and paint and hardware. I don't know whether this builder is giving his finished weight or the design weight. He doesn't seem to have done any fairing. I'm thinking that boat isn't as strong as the V10 for several reasons. You have joints between the planks which are glued; none of the joinery is strengthened with glass; lateral strength is supplied primarily by the thwarts and knees, not frames. Of course I don't know how strong a boat like this needs to be; mine could fight a war.
3) The skill level is fairly high. I may be flattering myself but I think I could do it. It would take forever, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

All that said, it sure is a beautiful achievement and it is tempting and the film was very well done.

Anyway, Karl, thanks very much. Something to think about. I notice that as small as it is, there are two rowing stations, and I'm thinking about adding a second to my boat since it rows well with one or three people, but as it stands, not with two.
Tony

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks for posting that Karl. You friend has some amazing skills and his dingy looks wonderful.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Wow Karl, amazing work!!! Jeff