Outboard placement

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Outboard placement

Post by Bartman » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:47 pm

I'm still up in the air between building and buying. I want a displacement or semi displacement power cat. I have been studying for sometime and curious what the thought process is between placing the outboards centered in the rear of each hull, cheating them to the center but still on the rear of the hull, and now I see several desings with twin outboard but they are mounted inside the hulls about 10-15% inward from the transom, almost in a well. I like the Supercats Sliver 29 and Sportcat 38. I also like the Gemini 399. Blue Planet is for sale....

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Outboard placement

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:20 am

On Richard's cats, the preferred location is on the hulls center line. He shows a single outboard between the hulls as an option but the twins work better.
Single outboards on the center line are fine for pontoon boats of for sailing cats like the Wharrams.
The offset engines are located that way to reduce draft and limit exposure to the props but there is a loss of efficiency, it's a trade-off.

PS: this was a question for Richard Woods but he is sailing right now, probably between Florida and the Bahamas.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Bartman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Outboard placement

Post by Bartman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 am

Thank you for the reply. This is the design with twins inboard of the hulls: http://asia-marine.net/sale/brokerage/p ... -29-amch12

It does seem inefficient but it's kind of nice not having to work around the outboards.