Skoota windshield lines poll

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
User avatar
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2850
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:14 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Skoota windshield lines poll

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:31 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:50 pm
Fuzz wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:10 pm
I like the idea of making a place for another person to sit and visit in comfort with the helmsman. And if a person is a little prone to getting sea sick being there might make much better for them.
That is a double bench.
I like the idea also. Seems that in rough weather or tight channels would be nice to have that person as the outlook/spotter. Besides, are you going to heat the helm station or just the cabin?


"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 5111
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Skoota windshield lines poll

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:09 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:31 am
fallguy1000 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:50 pm
Fuzz wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:10 pm
I like the idea of making a place for another person to sit and visit in comfort with the helmsman. And if a person is a little prone to getting sea sick being there might make much better for them.
That is a double bench.
I like the idea also. Seems that in rough weather or tight channels would be nice to have that person as the outlook/spotter. Besides, are you going to heat the helm station or just the cabin?
I am gonna heat the station, but I am btu output limited to say 5000, so it won't do much in a massive enclosure; probably aim for window defrost and hand heating.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 5111
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Skoota windshield lines poll

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:13 pm

...by the way Ken, thanks for engaging me on this blog, I really appreciate you seeing past politics...I am pretty sick, so it is helpful...I have relatives that won't talk to me over things like claiming Hillary had child sex parties in pizza parlors.

I sure hope you get onboard the Skoota someday.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 6308
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:23 am
Location: Kasilof, Alaska

Re: Skoota windshield lines poll

Post by Fuzz » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 pm

5000 btu is better than nothing but it aint much. If you were able to get up around 20,000 you will be much happier but I understand sometimes it is not possible.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 5111
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Skoota windshield lines poll

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:03 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 pm
5000 btu is better than nothing but it aint much. If you were able to get up around 20,000 you will be much happier but I understand sometimes it is not possible.
I am installing a webasto tsl17000 btu heater in the cabin.

There is not much space for a bigger boiler.

I might get closer to 10,000btu outside and that allows 7000 inside, but we also heat water with it as well...so if each shares; closer to 5500. At night the helm heat would be off.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 6308
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:23 am
Location: Kasilof, Alaska

Re: Skoota windshield lines poll

Post by Fuzz » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:33 pm

That should be plenty of heat for your needs. I sometimes will do some fishing when it is below 0 and 5000 btu is not enough. I do not think you will be doing much in that sort of temperature.

User avatar
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2850
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:14 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Skoota windshield lines poll

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:33 pm

I know it's not practical in a marine environment but consider, as a back up in the helm station, a Mr. Heater that produces between 4000 and up to 18000 BTU. With it's tilt and O2 cut off it would be great for a small space that is drafty. I got one for my days living in a big travel trailer and now use it tent camping. It has served me well in our cold weather. You know, when it drops below 60 and they shut Houston down to de-ice the roads.

Dan, it's all good on the political end.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

User avatar
Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 3056
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: Skoota windshield lines poll

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:17 pm

Too bad you've only got outboards for power or I would suggest some 12V heated seat pads from ebay (I installed them in my last car and they really warmed you up) They were cheap but effective.

Can you mock it up after the boat is complete? If you were good with a pencil or CAD I'd say draw it first....but green paint program ain't telling the story for me.

I'd say generally that the slope should be less than the roof, it should have camber for sure, and put a lip on the sides you don't want drips/rain water to run off. Decide where the rain should go and then fit a drain hose on the supports.
fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:13 pm
.I have relatives that won't talk to me over things like claiming Hillary had child sex parties in pizza parlors.
Are you SURE that she didn't?

OK - more seriously, don't take them seriously and get better soon.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 5111
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Skoota windshield lines poll

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:43 am

Evan_Gatehouse wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:17 pm
Too bad you've only got outboards for power or I would suggest some 12V heated seat pads from ebay (I installed them in my last car and they really warmed you up) They were cheap but effective.

Can you mock it up after the boat is complete? If you were good with a pencil or CAD I'd say draw it first....but green paint program ain't telling the story for me.

I'd say generally that the slope should be less than the roof, it should have camber for sure, and put a lip on the sides you don't want drips/rain water to run off. Decide where the rain should go and then fit a drain hose on the supports.
fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:13 pm
.I have relatives that won't talk to me over things like claiming Hillary had child sex parties in pizza parlors.
Are you SURE that she didn't?

OK - more seriously, don't take them seriously and get better soon.
I will have 12v coming back off the engines, so I could run a 12v seat heater while underway.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests