Efficient cats

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Efficient cats

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:14 am

I"ll post what I have later today or tomorrow.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:55 am

Here are some pics:
That's the 32 layout.
and here is the 36 stuyd plans as a PDF file:
http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/freedo ... dyplan.pdf

The price of the plans will be $ 1,445.00 and $ 1,735.00.
That's an introductory price.

The 36 can be fitted with a flying bridge.
Each can be built in 3 different ways:
- plywood-epoxy
- foam sandwich
- single skin fiberglass.
Foam sandwich is my preferred method. You can build the long panels flat on the shop floor and assemble them the stitch and glue way.
I have to finish the tutorial pages for that method but we have several boats built already:
- you cut the foam panels to shape
- assemble them on the floor and build a fiberglass skin
- put them on the jig and finish the outside fiberglass: tape seams, extra layers etc.
- flip the hull, fiberglass the inside.
You can also build in foam sandwich as explained here:
http://www.bateau2.com/howto/foam1.php
but to prefab the panels flat on the floor eliminates the need for an elaborate slat mold. It's just like plywood-epoxy but you end up with a true composite hull.

TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks - what about the Jazz 30 - I don't see any study plans on the website or is that not quite ready?

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:20 pm

I write this on board my Skoota 28 at anchor in the Bahamas. Sounds good, except it is really windy and pouring with rain. But at least no big thunderstorms right now (yesterday was horrible for a while)

There are several Skoota 36's being built. Two builders have blogs here in Canada

http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/vidanova36/library/

and here in the UK

www.my-new-cat.weebly.com

Both being built in ply, as you can see. There is another in Key west and a foam sandwich one in the UK, plus one in W Africa that will be used as a ferry so it has a modified open plan interior with seating for 36

I sold a couple of Jazz 30 plans. The hull/deck drawings are finished but I haven't yet been asked to supply the cuddy details so have yet to draw them to the owners specific requirements. But you can certainly build ply hulls and deck them

The Skoota 32 is the newest design. The first is being professionally built in infused foam sandwich in the UK. The build has started. I go to see the builder in a couple of weeks. He has just launched one of my Transit 38 sailing catamarans which he now also builds. The Skoota 32 plans are drawn up to the fitting out stage, when I see the builder and owner we will agree the interior layout so I can finalise those drawings. I don't plan to draw a plywood version, but the moulds are simple melamine faced mdf so anyone can build them. You don't need to infuse, nor use a vacuum bag, but by doing so you end up with a lighter boat

If the weather is good the next few days we may get up to Vero Beach before our haul out in Indiantown on April 20th. If you live in Florida you are welcome to see our Skoota and talk boats.

Hope that update helps

Richard Woods

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:49 pm

I updated my posts.

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:59 am

the SK32/36 are now available on Bateau.com as a pre-order, along with study plans, which will be updated as we receive more information.
Cracker Larry wrote:Build on 8)
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau

TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Sat May 07, 2016 8:44 am

Richard/ Jacques - I still don't see any study plans or further details on the Jazz 30 in the Boat Plans section...

Are these available?

Could you highlight the major differences between the Jazz 30 and the SK28 and 32/36...

I recall some mention that the hulls were narrower as they did not need room for accommodations?

Also what is the Bridgedeck clearance from the waterline?

This was the plan that I was most interested in but it seems to have fallen off the radar and any more info on it would be great...

Thanks

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs » Mon May 09, 2016 10:27 am

My apologies for the delay. Saturday I was helping sort out the newest Transit 38 catamaran (I'm sailing it on Wednesday) and then sailing a dipping lugsail schooner on Sunday and Monday. So both something of a contrast to a Skoota powercat! (next Saturday I'm sailing a foiling Moth, but thats another story!)

Maybe it would be best to email me direct at woodsdesigns@gmail.com to say what exactly you want to use a Jazz30 for, as the cockpit and deck layouts can vary according to peoples needs.

The Skoota 28 is the minimum live aboard cruiser, my wife and I lived on board for the last 5 months and we have cruised over 5000 miles including the PNW, the Gulf of Mexico and Bahamas. We even got to Vero Beach and the Bateau headquarters (very impressive BTW)

The Skoota 36 is a huge boat in comparison and will be a very comfortable live aboard cruiser

the Skoota 32 is, not surprisingly, something of a compromise. It has a lot more room than the 28 as it has in-hull accommodation. Better load carrying than the 28. I will be seeing the first one building tomorrow and may have photos later this week

All three boats are semi displacement hulls, and have a design speed in the mid teens. The 28 and 32 are coastal boats (Category B) so say up to 100 miles offshore (slightly academic as tankage limits the distance) but certainly to the Bahamas and beyond. The Skoota 36 is Category A and is go anywhere boat, subject to fuel. The Skoota 28 has asymmetric hulls as they are slightly more efficient for flat water the others have symmetric hulls for more load carrying

The Skoota 30 is simply a longer hulled 28 so better suited for those who want bigger engines. The reason for the 28ft length is that it can be fitted on a 40ft flatbed trailer when demounted (28ft hulls, 12ft cuddy)

The Jazz 30 is none of those, it has been designed as a fishing boat, water taxi, workboat. Basically not a cruising boat and probably only used for day trips. The use determines which deck layout and central cuddy you have.

I hope that helps answer your questions, as I say please email me direct with specific questions

Thank you

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Tue May 10, 2016 2:46 am

Thanks Richard - I sent you an email.

Which of your plans would be most suited to be adapted to this sort of layout --- http://www.blueplanetcatamarans.com/32G.html

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs » Tue May 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Thank you for your email which I will answer shortly, but maybe tomorrow as it's late here now in the UK. I was out all day yesterday test sailing a dipping lug sailed schooner and today I was checking up on progress with the Skoota 32 currently being built. Tomorrow I sail a Transit 38 sailing catamaran on its maiden sail.

See my richard.woods.designs Facebook page for more.

I checked on the Blue Planet 32. Its not a very good design, you can never convert a sailing hull to a powerboat, nor vice versa of course.

Our Skoota 28 does 19mph with twin 20hp outboards and is a proven safe, comfortable cruiser, as Jacques can attest. You can buy one complete with engines for USD120,000 approx. Even the Skoota 32 professionally built in infused foam sandwich and twin 70hp outboards costs under USD200,000 ex UK

But the nearest design of mine to the BP32 would indeed be the Jazz 30. Although you could have an open deck Skoota 32 it would float very high and so not then be an efficient hull shape

I hope that helps

Richard Woods