Drill and Fill Questions

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Rumdoctor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Drill and Fill Questions

Post by Rumdoctor » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Is there a rule of thumb or recommended amount to overdrill? I.e. if there is a 1” diameter fitting, what diameter should you overdrill.

When filling the over drill with the epoxy, do you thicken it with wood flour? Thicken with something else?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Drill and Fill Questions

Post by Fuzz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:20 pm

I think the general rule is make the hole 1.5 times the fastener size. 1" hole needs 1.5" over drill.
I use wood glue for almost everything but if it is in an area where very high loading is expected you can add other stuff glass fibres being one of them. Just do not use something soft like a fairing compound.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:01 pm

I think there’s a difference between loaded and unloaded holes though. EX: a through hull vs a screw hole.

Am I wrong about that?

Rumdoctor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rumdoctor » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:35 pm

Specifically, I was interested for my transom drain tube, bow eye, and cleats.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Will all be through bolted or some screwed/lagged?

I ask because I think (which is dangerous) that through bolt holes only need to be a bit larger than the bolt with epoxy not being structural (more of a seal)(give room for redrill inaccuracies). The lagged/screwed holes need to provide structural support to the threads.thats where the 1.5x plus glass, wood flour, cabosil, etc comes in.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong about all that. Wouldn’t be the first time. Today. According to wife.

piperdown
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Now this has me curious. Would it also depend on the size of the hole whether to cut cloth to place in and epoxy over? Still learning myself.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 am

IMHO, the over-drill and fill is to avoid rotting...

It helps with strength but when you talk about cleat or bow-eye, you need to divert the forces by using backing plates and under structural supports, not relying screw only.
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:05 pm

icelikkilinc wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 am
IMHO, the over-drill and fill is to avoid rotting...

It helps with strength but when you talk about cleat or bow-eye, you need to divert the forces by using backing plates and under structural supports, not relying screw only.
The main purpost is to prevent rot. It also adds some strength to the wood when mixed with wood flour. The 1.5 over drill is correct for all holes.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978