Favorite Boat Building Tools

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Favorite Boat Building Tools

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:35 pm

I tried them and they are not superb, have no carbide, least not last I checked.

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:06 pm

I've been using the Harbour Freight blades for many years in my home re-modeling business and they're as good as any other blades on the market. The one I find to be the most useful is the one that's about 1 1/4" wide. They're usually between $7.00 and $8.00 each, and the fact that I'm mostly cutting through Okoume ply, and not metal fasteners, 1 blade could last through a couple of boat builds. I did recently receive a 10 pack of blades ordered on Amazon that I haven't tried yet, and they were about 2 bucks each.

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:48 am

for me love the Japanise pull saws. Two diff blade settings. One side extra smooth the othera courser. Both very smooth to work with and you can cut some beautiful strait cuts when trimming.Lowes sells the one made by Vaughn. I have had mine now for over ten yrs. Comes with a clear plastic shieve. They also have a small 12" pull saw, with carbide chips on them. Really flexible. Great for smaller areas to work with. One more, another adjustable pull saw for trimming the bottom of cabinet door, home doors like base board and shoe mold, etc,You can set the blade on the flat for cuttind sideways or back on the edge. It is a double blade that is tapered. I bought two of them in a yard sale for $2.00A lot of tile setters use them for cutting door casing on the bottom for their tile to slide under.

Like fishing rods you can't have enough tools to do the job. :D
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:52 am

One more. Fpr circular blades I always use carbide tip blades. Thin kerf and make sure they are a vented blade. You will see tapered slot cuts on the sides. These help to keep the blade cool and not burn or warp your project as well as the blade itself. Right Slug? We both have many years behind us in the building trades. :lol:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:42 pm

The HF cutting tools won't trim 100 lineal feet of glass n epoxy before fail.

I use this and it was 47 bux at Menards and came with a carbide cutter, and it has a vacuum connection that I use for all my trimming.

Best tool in the barn by far.

https://www.amazon.com/WORX-WORXSAW-4-1 ... B00ZFR4GJE
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:59 pm

I think the most important tool any of us have is our knowledge and knowing what tool works best for the job. Having a large tool box or work shop of tools doesn't mean you know how to use them, when to use them or even how to use them safely. So my favorite is knowledge and I never seem to have enough. :?

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:15 am

One of my favorite boat building tools is a Sears corded mini 3 inch circular saw model 112-10872.0 which they no longer seem to carry. What I like about it is thin kerf, laser beam guide and depth adjustable. I have used it to cut all my plywood panels and it makes it easy to follow the panel curves. Sears now sells a cordless Worx saw which seems similar.

You must be careful with this saw as it can kick back if you don't know what you are doing.

I have two of the SOB tools but I do not find a lot of uses for them. I also have the Japanese cross cut saw which Ken describes and it is pretty handy.

Regards
Tom

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:35 am

Hate to join the SOB/multitool crowd, but it's quickly growing on me. Nothing trims excess glass faster, or cleans up globs of thickened epoxy as easy.

I got a nice Bosch kit with plenty of attachments from Lowes for $49 if memory serves.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:25 am

Picture is worth a thousand words, right?
BAC51C35-22C8-45F2-A7C6-7DB7D167E90E.jpeg
(161.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet