AD-14

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AD-14

Post by bondo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:13 am

The large radius cockpit seats are nice but because
the boat is stiff...i think the angle of the seats is a little too much.
One never really gets heeling enough to level the seats.

In fact you are sometimes on the lee side of the cockpit to induce healing. The boat does not want to sail flat.

I've anchored a few times. I anchor backwards from a rear cleat. (No swing) The boat really swings on the painter at anchor (when tied off at the bow)
Last edited by bondo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:55 am

Deck stepped mast:
(I like it keel stepped) I've read people mention when changing to a deck stepped mast the need for a compression post in the cabin.
The AD, being a catboat has its mast located forward.
If a person were to have a compression post it would not be in the way, not in the cabin. It would be just forward of "A" frame (the bow frame)
Last edited by bondo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 am

I'm interested in the "won't sail flat" appraisal. I assume you mean when sailing to windward.
You don't want perfectly flat. In light air you want to induce a bit of heel by sitting on the leeward side.
Best angle of heel is what produces the best VMG and that differs from boat to boat in different conditions. Again, same test as I suggested above; sailing to weather and comparing tracks with gps or tacks when sailing to a fixed point.
Tony

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:52 am

Terrulian I'm sure I was confusing, I struggle with words.

One of the reasons I like those large radius seats...
they are comfortable to lean into.

On a small boat it is varying amounts where you put your body off center.

You may not sit as far out (for example) because you will cause it to heel too far.

See, I had presumed the "angled" seats of the AD were designed such that average winds would cause them to become comfortably level, due to the heeling.

And this isn't happening. The boat does not heel enough to get out on those "angled" seats...not without causing the boat to lose the desirable heel. (Causing it to level, to sail upright)

My guess is it takes 15kts of wind to move yourself fully out onto the seats

I would be wrong to imply it is a design issue. The cockpit works great. But, better when it gets windy.
Last edited by bondo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 am

I love this boat....I'm just saying....

I really like sitting "on" the boat, not "in" the boat.

The more exciting things get...the more you want to be sailing on the boat, not in it. (My way of saying I wouldnt add cockpit sides.

How I would look to tweak the design?.... I would try to compress the height of the cabin. (reduce windage)
I am 6-2". And the AD cabin is plenty tall for me.

And I would lessen the angle of the seats.

(Doing this would mess up this design, Jacques was forced to choose compromises)
Last edited by bondo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:28 am

I'm curious:
Since the AD 14 and the AD 16 share the same appendes...the same sail plan, doesn't the AD 16 suffer even more from excessive windage?

The short boat can already carry a ton of weight. Stretching it to 16' would make it faster...
Stretching it to 16' would be roomier but as an owner of a 14' version I am not missing that.

I'm not complaining about the windage of the AD design....it was there the whole time. (I wanted a big cabin to put my big head in) (I love it...I got what I wanted)

I am just saying for people considering a 16' version.

As designed, the AD-14 passenger (2 crew total) lives like a king. The cabin is all theirs to lounge...the companionway (which is awesome to stand) and the front seat of the cockpit too. The passenger is free to move around without feeling like they are "getting in the way"

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 pm

I made synthetic stays.
I used the wrong line, I experienced lots of stretching (riggers refer to it as creep)

I suspected I used the wrong line when I saw something called "pre-stretched".

Anyway, watch online how to tie the eye-loop (bifurcated)
My lines are fixed length with thimballs connecting to quick release turnbuckles.

They are not expensive and you can make them yourself at home.

I am so excited about trying the spinnaker!

I have launched a homemade jib with the sprit setup as designed. It works great. Really easy and intuitive.
Last edited by bondo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:33 pm

Okay, some basics ....if you are going to build::

The baseline is always level, even after it's a boat.

The baseline is also your cabin floor. When your cabin floor is level, your boat is in trim.

Your cabin floor is also the DWL of the boat (I believe)

(the small flat section at the top of the centerboard trunk is also the baseline/cabin floor)

The tops of the seats are level (when building...and when in trim)
Last edited by bondo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:11 am

Am I killing you?

The tops of the windows are level.

Which means: the cabin floor, and the retracted centerboard, and the bottom of the keel, and the seats and the windows are all parallel with each other AND
they are all level when the boat is in trim.

I make the point of the window tops because all of these elements "agree with each other" to make the boat look correct and in trim on the water.
Last edited by bondo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 am

Hi,
Earlier on you wrote
I have a removable, battery L.E.D. tri- masthead ligh
. How do you operate it ? Do you tape it to the masthead before you raise the mast and has it a remote control to switch it on or is it just mounted at the mast as high as you can reach and then switched on? I would like to also get such a light. Can you tell me the make because here in Austria it is difficult to find something like that and most probably I am better of to order exactly the model you have got from Amazon.
I enjoy reading about your sailing experience of the AD14. It will come in handy to know all these behaviours of the boat when I sail it in spring.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433