SB18

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SB18

Post by lncc63 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Yeah I've had a decked stepped mast get away from me too which is why I'm going keel stepped even though my mast won't be as sturdy it being spliced at the mast partner. The worst experience was having a stay break on the shakedown of my friend's cat. My CR13 has had stay failures in strong winds but some luck and the fact that it is keel stepped saved the day.

Thanks Robert for the encouragement. Things should pick-up soon as summer is nearly here and the wind will be gone for about 6-8 weeks as the prevalent direction changes from NE to SW. The SW wind is spotty and this is when we get typhoons. So I expect to get a lot more work since there won't be much temptation to go sailing instead.

As for catching up, hah! Only in my dreams would I think I could do that. So sorry I'll have to be the one benefiting from you :) already have. Yeah, I've been looking for updates on Greg's build.

Here's a suggestion: use your jib sheets to constrain the base of the mast as you bring it up. The boom can be used as a ... I don't know what the term is ... pole to gain more leverage while using the forestay to haul it up. If you have a winch on your trailer, that can be used too. Just imagining here.

Robert Olson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Olson » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:59 am

Louis,

We have been blessed with a fantastic winter. We had the dryest January on record and it has been semi warm and sunny for the past two to three weeks. I have used one to two less chords of wood this year to keep warm in the shop so that I can keep working on the boat. It won't be long before I will have to begin preparing the gardens for this years vegetables.
I have a lot of ideas for putting up the rig, but until one trys them you never know what is going to happen. I would like to get it so that I will be able to do it by myself. I have the trailer and it appears that I will be able to use a section of rectangular tubing to get some height advantage forward of the bow. That should allow me to lower the mast more safely. I have a great deal of work left so I will have a lot of time to think about the problem.

Best of luck and fair winds,
Robert

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:37 am

Wow, this is a beautiful design. Robert, you and Jacques should both be very proud.

Robert Olson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Olson » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:23 am

Added a few more photos to my photo page. The exterior finish is completed and now it's on to the final rigging. Here is the link to the photo page.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/rolson519/SB ... tionPhotos#

Good luck to all,
Robert

Robert Olson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Olson » Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 am

I had the mast up yesterday two check the shrouds and head stay. They all fit as they should, I only had to lengthen the head stay by about two or three turns. Also wanted to confirm the stantion positions and the routing of the lifelines. I will begin to place the backing plates and drilling holes. It is very difficult to drill holes thru the decks and soles. One wants to take great care to position things correctly.
Once I accomplish these items, I will begin to fit the boat to it's trailer. One more challenge. Main sail is scheduled to arrive in about three weeks.
Here is the link to my photo page. Just added a few more pictures, not much new.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/rolson519/SB ... tionPhotos#

Good luck to all,
Robert

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo » Thu May 20, 2010 8:17 pm

It's beautiful.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:32 pm

I think I just saw her move... which way is closest to water? :)

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Beautiful!

I've been sidetracked building a tri but this inspires me to put some work into my SB18.