shreads

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: shreads

Post by chrisobee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Dog Fish wrote:
I vote that we break down and just start whittling the boats out of a solid block of epoxy. We would at least be spared multipage threads on overdrilling and refilling. :roll:
There's a lot of new people to boat building coming to this site that don't know, and if you don't ask you can't find answers. :roll:
I have nothing against asking and answering questions but look at the last fill and refill thread and tell me that was not tedious. Its a question of proportion. Next lets have a battle royale over sealing air chambers or using floatation foam.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:04 pm

All future responses...

Search the forums. The answer is there.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear you chrisobee, but I have no regrets in this case. The balance to your wise insight is the danger of the site developing the same welcoming attitude of the Department of Motor Vehicles, shuffling people from line to line, where the answers are already there waiting for them. :(

:lol: :wink:

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: sheer clamps

Post by lncc63 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:14 pm

fragi wrote:laminating it from several layers with offset seams for a total thickness of 20 mm means that I should glue together several plywood stripes together?
Plywood won't do for the sheer clamp. I asked that question a few months ago. Actually I was told that you can use plywood but then it would need to be significantly thicker. Search for "SB18 shear clamp" (I may have misspelled this on too) for the details.

It is easy enough to bend solid 20mm pieces. This is what the other builders of the SB18 and I did. The frames help hold them in place while you clamp them down. I believe you can use screws to temporarily clamp them in place. I personally like cheap $1 clamps. Screw holes seem kind of big and filling the holes later is an easy but undesirable chore for me.

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:47 pm

ks8 wrote:I hear you chrisobee, but I have no regrets in this case. The balance to your wise insight is the danger of the site developing the same welcoming attitude of the Department of Motor Vehicles, shuffling people from line to line, where the answers are already there waiting for them.
I am found out. I take great comfort in the Department of motor vehicals. I also go and sit in that shrine of orderlyness the title office. In my more carefree moments I walk around the plumbing section of the local ACE hardware and admire the fittings. <sigh> :oops:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Ah but there is a point when the questions should be refered to the FAQ's and How To's. He really needs to read these these areas before asking some of the questions he is asking. He also should not be sending e-mails to Jacques. I think he is in over his head in building the 18 for the first build from the questions he is asking. I hope he will keep asking them but first lets get him to read the FAQ's and HOW TO's so he can understand the basics of stitch and glue. Using Sika 291 is not good nor is using 4oz cloth.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:38 pm

chrisobee wrote:...I also go and sit in that shrine of orderlyness the title office. In my more carefree moments I walk around the plumbing section of the local ACE hardware and admire the fittings. <sigh> :oops:
Ahhh... indeed. Do you prefer the schedule 40 PVC? Personally, I find those particular bins in too much disarray for my organizational cravings. Now the library, and the Guide to Periodical Literature, that's a sure step above the phonebook, without a doubt. :wink:

Don't mind us fragi. It's a chronic symptom of BBV. When you ask for some answers, sometimes personality is going to come with the answers. :) Looking forward to another SB18 under construction soon. 8)