Adelie16 from a land down under

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Salvatore
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Post by Salvatore » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:45 pm

Hey Guys I think the eating of more Pizza with a few beers is in order :D This looks to me to be a Solar Eclipse and not Lunar, that is why you don't see the starboard light :roll: Although I could be wrong :wink: . Obviously the sun in the boat picture is covered more than the picture below.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:07 am

How are you doing my friend you have summer all we get this time of the year is wind and rain standard Vancouver

Salvatore
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Salvatore » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:43 am

das boot wrote:How are you doing my friend you have summer all we get this time of the year is wind and rain standard Vancouver
I am well, and My family is well too. The weather has been great for sailing and tends to be that way 9 months in the year in beautiful Sydney Australia. The boat has been a lot of fun, and the bigger Jib I made really pushes it along on all points. She is such a safe and sturdy boat even when a gust of wind grabs her and she leans right over I have no concern as she pops right up in a flash. I am even looking at the idea of making a gaff rig for it so that I can make a huge mainsail for it and use it on those really light breeze days. I am so happy I made a cabin mount for the mast in a tabernacle style it works extremely well I have no problems with it. She turns a lot of heads and I gets lots of compliments for her design and build, At 16ft she is a great "pocket ship" and I am very happy with her. I have made a big change to the hatch as I wanted to be able to walk right upto the mast base without having to go down into the cabin and then come up via the smaller hatch it was a failed attempt by me to get around a problem I have. the original design hatch I could not comfortably reach the mast base, wile wearing a life jacket, It was the one thing about the design of the boat that I did not like. the plan design is OK if you are a tall person 6ft but not if you are 5ft 2in tall. there is no comfortable way of being on the cabin roof when under sail. This change works extremely well for me and the boat is more like and open boat with the added advantage of still having a cabin. I have made a new hatch that covers the longer opening. I am still working on some fittings for it and I am almost done. This change has not stopped me from going sailing. I will post some pictures of the new hatch when it is all done.

How are you and your family, I recall that your good wife was not well, has she recovered?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK7N0Z3MuI9Awisupeh_7dw

Kind Regards,
Salvatore

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:55 am

I had the same problem that deck is quite small and getting out to the front of the jib was tricky I changed my rigging so I can now do it all from the cockpit it makes it better for me. I intent to change my mast mounting along the lines of what you did I will make mine out of aluimum but along the same idea just getting to old to step it any other way.

Salvatore
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Salvatore » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:12 am

G,day All, Pictures as promised. I still need to make up some ribber seals and install some SS clips. The hatch justs sits inside the cabin when I don't need it and that is 95% of the time.
I made the top of the CB wider and flat so that I could use it as a seat and added this rosewood table, works really well
Porter potty fits in with space to spare.
Regards Salvatore
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK7N0Z3MuI9Awisupeh_7dw

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:57 am

Hallo Salvatore,
I like your pictures of the new hatch and am specially excited because of the close ups because there I see the most how its done.
I also like the idea of a seat just inside the cabin. On one picture into the cabin there is a bit of your centre board winch to see. What type of winch are you using there ? I am asking because I know now already that the 60+ kilos to pull up with a rope I wont manage.
Keep pictures coming as often as you take some.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:08 am

G'day Salvatore of Sydney,

For a long time I've been impressed by your innovation. Congratulations on a great build, and the way you've beefed up your rig to fly, fly, fly 8) 8)

Sydney's waterways are a fantastic theatre in which to fly. Keep the innovations coming :!:
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:06 am

:D
Tony

Salvatore
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Salvatore » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:25 pm

gonandkarl wrote: I also like the idea of a seat just inside the cabin. On one picture into the cabin there is a bit of your centre board winch to see. What type of winch are you using there ? I am asking because I know now already that the 60+ kilos to pull up with a rope I wont manage.
G,day Karl The idea for the seat happened because George said that he had slipped on the angled part of the CB more than once so I decided to put an even section in, I made it wider and offset it so that it would be closer to the table. I did do a little cheat when I was building my boat my CB is a solid slab of Stainless Steel, it weighs 70 kg, I got that idea from another boat design. I used a small 3to1 SS winch (cost AU $99) I crimped the cable at the right depth so I did not let the CB go down to far. it has worked extremely well for me. The winch does not get in my way and is a reminder not to forget to lift the CB when cumming ashore. I only have the winch handle on when using the winch.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Wow, that stainless centerboard must have cost a bundle.
Tony