AD 14 Offshore

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
BigDreams
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

AD 14 Offshore

Post by BigDreams » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:43 pm

I've noticed on the study plans for the AD 14 and 16's that they make this comment:

"While it was not our goal our goal to design an offshore boat, Adelie will compare favorably with boats designed for offshore use or labeled as such.
As designed and with a good skipper Adelie can make short offshore crossings like safely sail to the Bahamas or cross the British Channel.
With some minor modifications, she could do much more."

What "minor modifications" would be required to make this little ship as seaworthy as possible? Still just in the dream stage....

Thanks!

Angus Rowcruiser, Prameke 78

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AD 14 Offshore

Post by SP » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:59 pm

When the AD14 design was first released, Jacques had this to say while answering your question. This is from an old post on the message board.
The boat is perfectly able to do some coastal cruising as designed.
We just finished the plans and I am not ready to begin to modify them less than a week later.
As designed, the boat is perfectly suited to it's program.
A builder can always make the boat more seaworthy by reducing the size of the companionway, that's #1.
#2 would be a fin keel with a bulb.
#3 would be to slightly increase the scantlings.
#4 would be to limit the crew to one or max. 2 and make arrangements for sturdy, lockable storage compartments under the cabin sole. That means bringing the weights down and securing the lids so that they would stay closed in case of capsizing.

If at least 3 builders commit themself to purchase plans for an ocean going version, I will design it. Those 3 will have to share a custom design fee of $ 200.00 each.
Those modifications will require around 50 hours of engineering and drafting.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:54 am

Note the context in which I wrote that: short passages in good weather.
As always, the most important element of seaworthiness is the skipper.
A good skipper will bring back a bad boat but an inexperienced one will loose an otherwise good boat.

Some have asked if small boats like the AD14 can cross an ocean. It can be done. It was done in much smaller boat but this is somewhere between a circus act and masochistic pleasure.
I consider our VG23 to be the minimum for ocean crossings.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:25 pm

jacquesmm wrote:... but this is somewhere between a circus act and masochistic pleasure...
LOL

Beautifully said, Jacques

BigDreams
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BigDreams » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:16 pm

I have to admit, that VG 23 is a beautiful boat. Pretty lines....

Salvatore
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Salvatore » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:21 am

I think that you need a real toilet and shower for ocean going trips, the vagbond26 is the go. In my ad16 that I am currently building I am using a porta potti, it will work for a weekend trip not much more than that. I will be using the boat for Sydney harbour and pittwater and the little bit of open sea in between that's it

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:13 am

Hallo Bigdreams,

I am building the AD14 for which the same is been said about Ocean going. I am threating my wife to take her on the ocean once its finished. But to be realistic, the first sail will be on the local Austrian Salzkammergut lakes and then maybe the odd sail on the Adriatic sea in good weather or the Ijssel meer in Holland. Therefore I am very keen on getting the right trailer that I can manage the 400 km to the nearest sea ( Adria ) or the 1000 km to the Netherlands where I can combine a sail with a visit to my dutch born wifes relatives. ( I will sail, she visits ) And should the sailing in this 2 locations be perfect and the boat turn out a hobby sailors dream I might try the channel to England. I will let You know about the progress to all these dreams. If You asked the question about Oceangoing for similar reasons and the maybe forthcoming purchase of the plans for AD14 or 16, then I can only advise You to buy them because then the building is a lot of fun and while You puzzle out the odd construction problem the dreaming will always be with You in the background.

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

BigDreams
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BigDreams » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Great comments. I really appreciate all of your insight.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm

you should no have any problems I have taken mine over to Vancouver Island from the main land you just need to watch the weather it can get nasty the biggest problem is the traffic it can a pain dodging the traffic and big boats leave a big hole in the water behind them I found that out the hard way cutting behind one but with a little caution and common cense you should be ok. We got caught on the other day in a storm but the boat handles it well you get some spray from the bow going through big waves but that is part of boating I just wish the water was warmer.