Lead Keel

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Barn Lancaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Lead Keel

Post by Barn Lancaster » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:38 pm

In the plans it says pour lead as far forward as possible does that mean Lead shot or molten lead. I have read on the internet you can pour molten lead into epoxy without damaging it is that true.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lead Keel

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:53 pm

I would not do it.
I would pour ingots of the approximate shape then fill around it with lead shot and pour resin over it.
I prefer to launch the boat and see how she floats before pouring the resin over the lead.
I calculate weights but there are small variations with each build.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Barn Lancaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barn Lancaster » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:39 pm

Ok I'll do the ingot method. Would you launch and trim the boat without the rig on it?
I haven't glassed the parts of the keel either side of the centreboard box. In the light of making ingots to fit and epoxy could I do this all at the same time. I have some slow hardener left I could use for this is this a good idea ?
Last edited by Barn Lancaster on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Launch yes, trim no.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Barn Lancaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barn Lancaster » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:21 pm

Sorry I've edited the previous post before I saw your reply

"I haven't glassed the parts of the keel either side of the centreboard box. In the light of making ingots to fit and epoxy could I do this all at the same time. I have some slow hardener left I could use for this is this a good idea ?"

nwjack
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nwjack » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:39 pm

What size are the ingots supposed to be. If I build the VG 23 I will start collecting old lead wheel weights from tire shops. The one problem with this is the guy said lead wheel weights are becoming a thing of the past. How much weight is from the ingots versus the lead shot around the ingots?

Barn Lancaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barn Lancaster » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:46 am

Starting at the front of the keel I made a wood plug from plywood then made a concrete mould from it then cast one big ingot that worked well,it weighed 110kg. The other ingots I cast in baking trays which weighed between 10 and 15kg. After launching the boat I had to move some of these aft because the boat is not fitted out and is high on the waterline.
My plan now is to fit the boat out ,launch then make wood plugs for the other compartments and concrete casts like the forward ingot I am hoping not to use any lead shot.
I sought advice before casting the lead apart from the usual protective equipment I was told to make sure there is no water in the concrete so I let them dry in the sum for a few days.
The concrete moulds are not re-usable they crack and need to be contained in there own shuttering.
There are plenty of videos on youtube on the subject.
It wasn't difficult just time consuming.