VG26 Question to the design

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Anke
New Poster
New Poster

VG26 Question to the design

Post by Anke » Tue May 26, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi,
I bought the design of the Vagabond 26. Now I want to order the plywood.
In the BOM are mentioned 6mm, 9mm and 15mm plates of plywood. In the plan D272_2 I found 6mm, 10mm and 13mm. Now I am a little confused, which one I have to order. :?:
Can you help me?

Thanks Anke

PS: Sorry for my bad english, it will become better... After a while..

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VG26 Question to the design

Post by jacquesmm » Tue May 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Follow the plans.
9 and 10 mm are the same plywood. Some manufacturers list that same plywood under two different names and a fraction 1 mm does not matter.
The 15 mm was overkill and I changed it to 12 mm on the plans. I left the old size on the web page, it is only for cost estimating and the difference is small.
Look at the nesting drawing and purchase what I show on the plans.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Barn Lancaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barn Lancaster » Fri May 29, 2015 7:31 pm

Good Luck with the build contact me I will try to help with choice of plywood

Anke
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Anke » Sat May 30, 2015 9:11 am

Thx, for the information. I will do what the plans say.

And thx to Barn. Your blog is interesting.

moguzhanoguz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by moguzhanoguz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:55 pm

I am Oguzhan from Turkey. I am mechanical engineer and reviewing the design specs of sailboats prior to choose the most suitable which meets my requirements.

1- For next 2 years we will sail (my wife and my 1 year old son) daily in the weekends. However because of my boy the cabin should be comfortable and big enough.
2- After 2 years we may sail to mediterrian sea which is 300 NM far to istanbul
3- I will sail myself to improve my sailing skills

After considering these requirements I picked VG 26. I got in touch with a shipyard to build my VG26 and asked them for a proposal. The proposed price was too much than if I build my self. At that point I have some questions to be sure that I am selecting the right boat and purchasing the right plans.

1- Do you have a BOM including rig, keel, cabin furniture ? I have to be sure that my budget is okay with that boat. This is important. Because if ı realise that the total cost (not only the hull) exceed my budget I will have to quit building after starting it.
2- CNC Kits : How much hours will I save according to your estimated man hour consumption if I select CNC kits. By the way since I am located in Turkey it would be the best if I can have CNC cutting plans to give CNC workshop here. I believe delivering your CNC kits will be more expensive than making them here. But my main question is time. Is it worth or not.?
3- ıs there a possibility to extend cabin height one of your smaller boats such as vagabond 23 ?

I know my questions are too much and long but I hope you understand me that I am a ready purchaser but hesitating if picking the right stick :)

Thank you in advance

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:38 pm

I will reply in detail on Monday but please have a look at the VG23. The VG23 fits your program better and is more economical.

moguzhanoguz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by moguzhanoguz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:45 pm

I have already checked and studied but again I will take a look. Thank you Jacques.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:16 pm

moguzhanoguz wrote: 1- Do you have a BOM including rig, keel, cabin furniture ? I have to be sure that my budget is okay with that boat. This is important. Because if ı realise that the total cost (not only the hull) exceed my budget I will have to quit building after starting it.
There is a BOM on the study plan page but I do not include items such as spars, sails and other equipment. Some builders will find used spars (they are all over the place), same for the sails and some will go for everything new in which case you should check the local prices.
Same for equipment, it depends on each person. You can get along with one anchor or like I did when sailing around the world, have 6 anchors and hundreds of meters of chain. I only had a small hand bearing compass and no eletcronis but some people spend more on electronics than on the sails. Same for the engine" used or new? All together, consider that the cost of the hull will be 20 to 40% of the final cost.

2- CNC Kits : How much hours will I save according to your estimated man hour consumption if I select CNC kits. By the way since I am located in Turkey it would be the best if I can have CNC cutting plans to give CNC workshop here. I believe delivering your CNC kits will be more expensive than making them here. But my main question is time. Is it worth or not.?
I don't sell the CNC files, sorry. They are machine specific anyway but we have shipped kits all over the world, it is not that expensive.
You will save between 200 and 300 hours with the kit but above all, you will have the hull together in a very short time which is very motivating.
3- ıs there a possibility to extend cabin height one of your smaller boats such as vagabond 23 ?

I don't want to do it. Look at the size of the sole! It is not a boat in which you can walk around or stand except in the galley or in the head. In all other places you will sit. Each boat is a compromise and I already made serious concessions to comfort with wide beam. She is very comfortable boat for less than 8 meters but still a small boat.
The places where you can stand are under the companionway: you could have a dodger there, that will give a lot of headroom.
I know my questions are too much and long but I hope you understand me that I am a ready purchaser but hesitating if picking the right stick :)

Thank you in advance

moguzhanoguz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by moguzhanoguz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:54 pm

Thank you jacques. I will let you know my desicion.