VG20 Plywood Nesting

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

VG20 Plywood Nesting

Post by SP » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:20 am

The plans only show nesting for the hull panels. It would be nice if there was a nesting plan for the rest.

The building notes say the bulkheads can be cut out of 5 sheets of plywood.

I don't see how that works. I looked at the rest of the plan, and what the building notes says it takes in plywood, and I am wondering if the amount of plywood specified is correct.

Any possibility to get a more detailed nesting plan which includes the other parts?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VG20 Plywood Nesting

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:46 am

Most designers don't show a nesting drawing.
This boat was designed 25 years ago and at that time, it was already great to show a nesting for the hull pieces.
I did not show the bulkheads because they can be made from several pieces and there must be many different ways to do the layout on plywood.
Give me some time and I"ll see if I can draw one.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:38 pm

jacquesmm wrote:Most designers don't show a nesting drawing.
This boat was designed 25 years ago and at that time, it was already great to show a nesting for the hull pieces.
I did not show the bulkheads because they can be made from several pieces and there must be many different ways to do the layout on plywood.
Give me some time and I"ll see if I can draw one.
Thank you.

I was thinking the same thing, that it is an older design, has had design changes, additions etc.......

It is a great plan, very well put together, but if there was any design worth the time to do a refresh of the plans, I think the VG20 would be it.

The accommodations sheet shows a galley setup with lockers on opposite side, but the bulkhead plans don't have the dimensions. Instead of leaving it so up to the builder on how it should be laid out, I would add it to the plans in detail. This way you would have a cabin design on the plans, the builder wouldn't have to modify if they didn't want to and they would get a very workable setup. It would be a great help for newer builders or any builder who doesn't want to take the extra time or doesn't have the sailing/cruising experience. The way it is now, the builder really has no choice but to modify if you want a working galley and lockers. Also, adding the bulkhead cutouts in F and G for the quarter berth/storage would help.

I do realize that the cabin layout could be modified in any number of ways, especially all the little details, but having at least one stock design with details would be a great addition to the plans.

Complete nesting could be done.

Materials have also changed some over time and the current plan is a little confusing, it could be more streamlined and I think with the nesting being done it would be.

I also wonder why the stem is done the way it is instead of having an exact fit plywood piece on front that is stitched up with the hull like on other plans and then if reenforcement is needed it could be added after.

I'll stop there, but from looking over the plans it is obviously a great design and could be even better by updating it to current standards as with the other VG series designs.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:28 pm

The latest plans show only the outline of bulkheads and frames with some typical drawings showing suggested size and layout. They leave much more freedom to the builder but makes drawing the nesting for the accomodations parts tricky.
It is true that options appeared over the years: some builders used 1/4" in place of 3/8 for some panels.
I"ll clean it up, simplify it and rewrite the building notes when I am finished with some new designs.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com