AD14 Waterline Question

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

AD14 Waterline Question

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi Jacques,

As I want to put graphite/epoxy to the bottom of my AD14 up to the waterline, I am not quite sure where I should draw the waterline.
You gave me some time ago about the trailer capacity a lot of info about the DWL as well:

Code: Select all

The displacement at 12" (310 mm) is 1835 lbs and the PPI is 256 lbs.
In metric, 832 kg and 45 kg/cm.
Those are calculated values for the boat built as designed.
The other figure was for a waterline at 10": empty boat, no crew, no stores.
Before more questions are asked: the DWL is at 33 cm (13"), the calculated displacement I give above is for 31 cm and the one at 10" (254 mm) is the boat floating at the design baseline.
In most cases, the boat with 2 persons and gear, ready to sail, will be at 31 cm draft. Heavy load = 33, empty = 25.
I am certain about the values of 1835 and 256. Those are the ones calculated at the time of the design.
PPI is Pounds Per Inch of Immersion.
It means that, at the waterline, it takes 256 lbs to bring the waterline up by 1".
In metric, at DWL, it takes 45 kg to bring the hull down 1 cm.
Calculated at another WL, it would be different.
My question now is: If my boat will have heavy load ( myself and maybe 1 or 2 other heavy guys plus maybe having built it a bit to heavy like you always say about newbies builders ) = 33 cm as in your quote above should I draw the waterline 8 cm above the baseline ? Up to that I would like to have my graphite/epoxy coat. Is it advisable to do it that way ?

Greetings from Karl

All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD14 Waterline Question

Post by terrulian » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:57 pm

Aren't these two different issues? The graphite bottom is, I believe, to protect from abrasion. The waterline is painted for different reasons: 1) to tell whether the boat is floating on its lines 2) to delineate between topsides paint and anti-fouling paint 3) for aesthetic considerations. Often, a boot stripe is added above the waterline for some style. If it were me I think I'd only use the graphite where you think the bottom may get dinged when you beach the boat; and then I'd make the topsides/anti-fouling line as indicated by the waterline. These may be the same, but I kind of doubt it. I don't know if you even plan to put the boat on the beach but it looks like if you did it would rest on the trunk and the chines. Will be interested to hear what Jacques says; I may be leading you astray. Maybe Salvatore has some suggestions.
Tony

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi Tony,
Thank you for your idea how I should do it. I started this question especially because I could not figure out from the arizona builder, Georges AD16 and Salvatores posts what is the correct way. Salvatore has the dark bottom rather high up while the floating waterline is lower and the arizona builder did not use graphite/epoxy but seems to have painted the bottom blue along the baseline and the top coat is all white but with 3 2 inch wide nice colour stripes going forward from the transom. Georges boat is all yellow and I cannot see if it has got graphite/epoxy coating maybe just underneath.
I agree with you I will hardly ever beach the boat and when I do it will only be scratched only at the bottom, so I like using the graphite only down there also to keep it away of UV radiation of the sun which has apparently a bad affect on epoxy. I do not know if the graphite part of the coat helps a bit against it. If I only put it at the bottom the I can paint the sides with topcoat and have decorative line where I think the boats will float on the water line. I definitely wait for some more opinions, just because I do not know the correct boat painting and cannot decide it as easy as 0 or 1, 45 Years in computers one cannot get out of ones system.
Greetings from Karl

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Actually I think Salvatore did it pretty much like on the study plans just without the which looks also good.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Jacques told me that the graphite in the epoxy should provide UV protection.

Also, here's a video on getting a proper waterline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEoi2E05zDU
Tony

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:51 pm

The graphite does provide UV protection. I usually take it a couple inches above the waterline and skip the boot stripe. We have a lot of oysters and stumps and floating logs around here, and I often fish shallow, so we get a lot of collisions with "things" at waterline level. The OD 18 is still looking good after 8 years. Paint scratches, graphite doesn't.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:42 pm

Hi,
Thank you Tony and Larry. By the time I do my waterline I have all the knowledge I need to have because of the 2 of you.
I like the video, but I think I will not go to the extreme to take measure at the bow and transom of the boat floating in the water and then paint it in the shed. I hope I will still get answers from Jacques and Salvatore and maybe even from Arizona builder if he still looks into the forum because he finished his AD16 Cool Change already in 2011.
The more opinions I get the longer it takes me to decide but that has just to do with my age which left me with just a few grey cells who cannot crunch the numbers as fast as computers.
Greetings from Karl

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Paint scratches, graphite doesn't.
Mine's pretty scratched after being dragged many times on sharp gravel beaches. I'm sure glad I did the extra coat of glass on the bottom, and also that I added the bronze strip on the skeg, which takes the most abuse. It's not easy to take a picture of the bottom but one of these days I'll give it a try because I think it would be useful info.
Tony

Salvatore
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Salvatore » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi Karl,
I Beach my AD16 all the time. The waterline for both AD16 and AD14 is from the tip of the bow chin to the tip of the stern chine, I painted the blue bottom higher so as not to clearly show the water line. The waterline can change a lot on a small boat depending on crew and gear. I did not add the top blue line in the end.

I changed my keel so that I could easily pull the boat up onto a trailer, See Link below.
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58853

I have not had any problems with the paintwork, and any marks or scratches, have been really miner, just a quick touch-up with paint.

Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina
https://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Where you beach is a lot different from where I do :D

That's a real nice beach 8)

Mine are usually a little rougher on a boat than that.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose