AD16 CB Case question for Jaques

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

AD16 CB Case question for Jaques

Post by Bogieman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 am

Hello,

Any problem using pine as battens inside the CB Case? I have some long pine pieces on hand that are 2" wide and 3/4" thick. Will this be hard enough or should I be looking for more structurally sound lumber?

Thanks,

Bogie

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AD16 CB Case question for Jaques

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:18 am

1. How will they fit? Do you plan to make the case wider and add battens?

2. What will you do if (when) the battens expand and the CB gets stuck?
You could use HDPE (plastic) but leave some play.

I prefer to see the case built as designed and heavily coated inside with epoxy-graphite. The CB will smoothly slide up and down and the case is protected.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 am

Hi Jaques,

My intent was just to cut them to the required lengths and use them on the inside edges to create the required 2" inside diameter. I didn't think I was deviating from the plans but maybe my question was worded goofy :D

Bogie

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:55 am

OK, I understand now.
The rounded corner you see on the plans is produced by a putty fillet. It covers the seam between the parts of the case.
It does not have to be round but something must cover that seam.
The easiest way to assemble the case is to build it in two parts: port side with front end and starboard side with rear end panel.
Coat with epoxy-graphite and/or fiberglass. The glass is optional. If you glass, make the end panels a tiny little bit wider.
Next, epoxy glue the two halves together. You will need to finish two corners inside with a putty fillet.The case is wide enough to do that.
Glass outside or at least epoxy coat and drop in the hull.
It is easier to build the two fillets than to properly glue corner battens.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Jaques,

This is the part of the plans I was referring to where it mentions the battens. I wasn't sure if pine was okay or if hardwood of some type was required.

Thank you,

Bogie
Attachments
cb case.jpg

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:43 pm

OK, maybe the word batten is not correct. Those battens are the end planks, boards.
A 1x2 is such a batten.
If you have a board that is exactly 1x2, it will work. You pick the type of wood but if you suspect that it is not strong enough, add a layer of glass.

I don't know why I mentioned rounded corners but those are just the inside fillets.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:45 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:43 pm
OK, maybe the word batten is not correct. Those battens are the end planks, boards.
A 1x2 is such a batten.
If you have a board that is exactly 1x2, it will work. You pick the type of wood but if you suspect that it is not strong enough, add a layer of glass.

I don't know why I mentioned rounded corners but those are just the inside fillets.
Ok, thank you. I guess cleats would have been the better terminology :D . So, I will use pine and be sure to glass it well. This is such a fun project! I'm glad you designed this boat!

Bogie

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:25 pm

This is such a fun project! I'm glad you designed this boat!
As I have said before, there is no counting the hours of pleasure that JM has bequeathed to humanity.
Tony

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 pm

terrulian wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:25 pm
This is such a fun project! I'm glad you designed this boat!
As I have said before, there is no counting the hours of pleasure that JM has bequeathed to humanity.
Well said, Tony! JM should be proud. This stuff is pure joy. And joy is a precious commodity.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:36 am

Hi Bogie,
Your question about the CB trunk I will answer so:
I also used 1 by 2 pine and kept during the building of the case always 3 or 4 plastic wrapped pieces of it in between to keep the distance to the sides accurate. I made these spacer pieces longer than the height of the case so they were sticking out at the top and bottom and only at the bottom after I had glued the 2 top pieces between the case tops. The third top piece of the trunk was later frame C. I glued the two end pieces with epoxy wood flour glue together after I had the insides covered with epoxy and 3 coats of paint. I did not use any glass fibre on the inside of the trunk and the fillets in the corners I also kept to a minimum what ever I could reach when it was already glued together. Before I glued it together I checked with the centerboard that it fits nicely inside. Jacques idea of epoxy graphite inside the trunk would have been better than paint, but it only came now and for me too late. I actually had a few problems about the measurement of the case on the plans. Unfortunately I have no pictures of the build itself but here are some of the finished trunk where you can see the 1 by 2 which I also used as spreaders between port and starboard sides.

Here I have got for you pictures of the finished case and board of our boat builder fellow Bondo:

and the pivot assembly

This picture I got sent from Jacques after I asked about the measurements problem because it is not as detailed as on the plans.
His words:
Is this what we are discussing?
The CB is yellow, the trunk outline is red. The pins are aligned and the bottom of the CB sticks out because it goes through the hull and through the keel. It is flush with the bottom of the keel shoe that we don't see int his drawing.
Yes, it is normal for the CB to be higher than the inside part of the CB trunk.
You can read all the conversation about it on this link:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48635&start=20#p338873

Also remember that there is a right angle of the case at the frame C position.

I hope I have not confused you with too much detail about the CB trunk

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433