C12 Sail Config

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
tonguc.rador
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

C12 Sail Config

Post by tonguc.rador » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:40 am

Dear All,

I am at around the middle of the lamination procedure on the cat 12, and was making some research for local
providers for an aluminum mast. And I started to have concerns over transportation. So I have some questions
about the rig in specs.

1) Is it possible (I mean within performance limits) to cut a 6 meter aluminum mast in 2 and use appropriate
sized inner tube (I think again aluminum) of appropriate length? If so what should be the appropriate length
of the tube. I can attack the problem of elasticity myself but asking experts is faster and more sociable.
2) Can one actually build a main sheet traveler rig for the aft rigging as shown on the plans.

3) Can there be any rationale to add a small mizzen and make the boom a tad smaller.

best
Tonguc Rador

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C12 Sail Config

Post by terrulian » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:48 am

I will defer to the engineers among us to answer #1 and on #2 I'm pretty sure that's possible but I don't have the plans--and couldn't even find them on BBC--so can't comment.
On #3, this is a really silly idea on a 12-ft. cat boat, which I assume it is, and therefore I like it.
This would be awkward and impractical but if those are your concerns I'm sure you wouldn't be messing around building a sailboat in the first place. There are 15-ft ketches if you do a search, but 12 feet just seems too small to me. There is also the problem of running rigging for two sails on a boat so small that you have to use your weight for ballast. You can tack without touching the lines but when reaching you need to be able to properly trim two sails without going for a swim or tangling yourself up.
On San Francisco Bay in years past there was a schooner about 12 feet long. It may have even been gaff-rigged, I can't remember. It sailed and was hilarious.
I hope you do it.
Tony

tonguc.rador
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tonguc.rador » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 am

Thanks! I am thinking about it.

Also I am taking question 2 back. It is a bit trivial...

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:31 pm

If you do this, please do document it for the rest of us. BTW, can you give me a link to the C12 plans or photos? I couldn't find them.
Tony

tonguc.rador
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tonguc.rador » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:23 am

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks for the link!
When I did a search on BBC I just came up with a button to order the CNC kit and no plans or photos. This may be operator error but BBC should check it.
This looks like a great boat just as it is, and I see a few different setups for the rig but none with more than one mast. Like I said, it appears to me that another mast would make it difficult to move around the boat and handle the rig but I don't know where you're planning the second mast, or for that matter, exactly why you would want to. You say "to make the boom shorter" but the deal on a catboat is that is a low-aspect rig (short with a long boom) and only one sail which makes sail handling simpler, and also, since the mast is moved forward, makes for a roomier cockpit. If you shorten the boom, I think you are figuring you need to balance the sailplan with a mizzen, since the mast as it is designed is very far forward. This is an old design and is still in use from dinghies like the Beetle Cat to high performance larger boats like the Wylie Cat and Nonsuch. My own approach would be to not re-invent the wheel, but I can't say I don't admire nautical experiments. Have you seen the design for the next America's Cup?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:27 am

Looks a lot like the V12. If it is then I wouldn’t suggest second mast. You’ll have anougj trouble staying out of your own lines with just one sail to manage.