metric Vs english syst.

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: metric Vs english syst.

Post by pee wee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:27 am

I remember all the belly-aching about how expensive and what a burden it was going to be for US manufacturing to change. The laugh is that for the most part the manufacturers have by now changed over to metric, it's the rest of us that are still using the old system and no plans to change it.

Not a metric/imperial story, but nonetheless it goes to conflicting systems around the world sometimes causing real problems:

I learned to ride a bike on my brother's BSA (made in England), front brake and clutch reversed from ours, rear brake and shifter reversed. Then one day my friends and I rented Japanese bikes to go for a ride in the country . . I had dropped behind so had sped up; as I crest a hill they're right there, stopped at a T intersection, stop sign and barbed wire straight ahead. I immediately applied both brakes- no I didn't- instead I had squeezed the clutch lever and stepped on the gear shifter expecting some help in a dire situation. Nope, flew right past them with one foot on the pavement, skidded on through but somehow managed to avoid catastrophe. Luckily no cars going cross highway at the time; no blood and guts, just a story to tell. Memories like that stick with you! :help:

Hank

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 am

Yikes! Congrats on surviving that one!

Large US manufacturers have developed much overseas business since the 80's so it is an accommodation they've made. But we still have the Cowboy Hall of Fame, dammit!
Our own government, ironically, puts out charts in feet, fathoms, and meters--not that you have your choice or anything. So at least some institutions see some benefit.
Last edited by terrulian on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am

terrulian wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 am
Large US manufacturers have developed much overseas business since the 80's so it is an accommodation they've made. But we still have the Cowboy Hall of Fame, dammit!
Our own government, ironically, puts out charts in feet, fathoms, and meters--not that you have your choice or anything. So at least some institutions see some benefit.
Do other countries sell US charts in metric?

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:42 am

Okay, so no one wants to bite. I can understand.

0.0038 grams/gallon and 2.72 pounds/acre-foot = 1 mg/l = 1 part per million. Some crazy stuff, stuffed in my little head, to make science and fish farming come together... :help: :help:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:43 am

Jaysen wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am

Do other countries sell US charts in metric?
Yes, they convert the US charts. If you get an app like MX Mariner, you can switch from feet to meters but you have to pay for the metric version (vector charts). US NOAA charts (raster) are free.
I am all for metric or at least for decimal inches but when it comes to charts, I am so used to feet and fathoms that I get confused with metric depth lines. It shows my age: I started sailing when all depths were shown in fathoms or in French "brasses".
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 am

cape man wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:42 am
We all switched to spreadsheets and forgot the ratios. :D
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:54 am

cape man wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:42 am

0.0038 grams/gallon and 2.72 pounds/acre-foot = 1 mg/l = 1 part per million. Some crazy stuff, stuffed in my little head, to make science and fish farming come together... :help: :help:
I tried grams and ounces, but was off by a factor of about 128!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:32 pm

The only 2 conversion factors I recall and are burned into long term memory are 2.2lb/kg and 2.54cm/inch.
And the only reason I really know the lbs/kg is I have buddies who compete in powerlifting and the weights are always listed in kg.
I think the length one has to do with physics classes but don't recall. Regardless, it's another one burned in.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:03 pm

When I was a lad, pot was sold in "keys" for "kilos". That was a long time ago.
Tony

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:18 pm

On my food scales I use ounces at home to weigh my veggies (8oz of veggies and 8oz of meat= balanced diet) But I weigh my epoxy in metric. I also like measuring length in metric. But most of my measuring devices are standard.