CV16 Caravelle - KS8 - more pictures added

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

CV16 Caravelle - KS8 - more pictures added

Post by ks8 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:17 pm

Hello to all,

Yes, I actually have done some boat building this summer. There are many more pictures, but I've been very busy and am having dialup problems. Here are some pictures for now, of adding caprails.

Of course, it must be remembered that the plans as published do NOT require changes in order to use for the intended purpose, and the CV16 plans do not show caprails.

Yet, I like a wide caprail to grab onto, and I've seen stresses on a rod holder enough to break the holder (snapped the welds). Some rod holders will be on the boat, for striper fishing. The 42 incher this spring season had the tip in the water a good part of the time. What a fight! And good eating.

I also intend to have removeable 5 inch splash boards that can withstand a minor wave hit (avoiding the rougher weather of course), and there will be a removeable hard top / soft top cabin reminiscent of the Renault Caravelle (of which we had two several years back). The cuddytop console already greatly provides a comfortable sheltered area for crew/passengers forward, and makes for easy mounting of overhead shelter for short camping tips. OK... its pup tent camping, but do-able. A higher cabin was out of the question as it would too greatly destabilize the boat (in at least my inexperienced opinion). A permanent cabin was a no-go. There are days when the open cockpit is surely worth the ability to sail in it, without a permanent cabin (no matter the size) to rob from it on a 14 foot daysailer.

All these optional items need to be attached in a removeable way. For this reason I added the clamp inside, built up of two layers of 1/4 inch ply. The stock used for the rails and the clamp was fairly light, but did add weight. I've added a bit of weight below the waterline also which should help offset the weight added higher up. Of course the weight below the waterline must be more to compensate for the added weight so much higher above the waterline, considering the moments involved. The two batteries should also help in that department as they are practically on the floor next to the mast step. I'll certainly learn more when this thing greets the water.

The photos are here...

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=202

(there are some clamp pictures also now... thur 10:30am)

and several console pictures here...

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=203

I highly recommend that no one make major changes to the published designs, without first getting some qualified feedback. This being said, one of the appeals of these boats is that they are designed with good strength and can survive some minor changes that help a builder make the boat their own custom boat. Any structural changes, however, require sound recommendations. I am enjoying seeing the final form, and its options, taking form. I was particularly pleased with the added shelter of the console, and the grip on the caprail.

More pictures will follow, showing the console construction, and the clamp concepts and construction. Hope these are informative and helpful. Please do reply with comments, questions, and suggestions as they arise (positive or negative). Now I've got to pychologically prepare myself for what I will witness in the first presidential debate... Don't just go with the flow, whatever your flow is. Think, decide wisely and vote (for all you USA citizens).

Happy building...

Sincerely,
ks
Last edited by ks8 on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

odras
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by odras » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:16 pm

Sorry, If I offended some. I deleted the text Myself.

Bill
Last edited by odras on Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take your kid fishing!

PJPiercey
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by PJPiercey » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:49 am

Deleted
Last edited by PJPiercey on Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:38 am

Hello Bill,

I understand there are strong passions in this election on both sides. I'd be happy to email you on it. My post was predominantly about the boat. Boat building is a time when I can let things calm and come into a different perspective. It is why I emphasized *thought* in voting. The boat building helps calm the political nerves for better thought. The boat is what I want to talk about here, so I can think better to vote better. :P

Of course for awhile, here on the board, quite a few talked about hurricanes, because they affected so many of us. Nothing wrong with that. I promoted no candidate. I promoted thought, which the boat building helps me do more calmly. But this election may well affect the world, more than a few hurricanes. I do promote a candidate, but that would be in an email to you. End of topic. Back to the boat.

I did not mean to open a can of worms, unless we're talking about fishing. The sandworms are annoying. I don't like it when the bait can bite you. I think the boating and boat building thing is almost like a sanctuary for many. So maybe we should be quietly respectful in the church. :lol: Although admittedly that doesn't always show in my previous posts... 8O

Jacques did call my boat building tent a boat building *cathedral*! Maybe we're on to something here!

So... did you think of any mods for your boat after a summer of fishin' and such? I'm beginning to get low on patience with the build (again), wanting to get it wet already, but seeing the mods all lining up as things get finished up is sufficient encouragement to keep me at it. The caprails are turning out better than I thought. The feel of that smooth sanded wood unfortunately will be lost under the finish. If only wood did not rot so fast, or give you splinters! But when applied well, its a wonderful thing, even a thing of beauty... sorta like... people... splinters and all.... :doh:

On top of the cuddy I added a couple of small structures to mount the bow light on and an auxiliary power outlet for.. say... parade lights on the holidays. These little doghouses are not bonded on yet, but will be included in some coming pictures. Actually pretty simple. Any questions on any of the comments I put with the pictures, or suggestions?

I've had a neighbor donate quite a bit of scrap but very good mahogany. I wish I could use more of it, but it is so HEAVY. The base for the anchor light (mahogany) looks good with a coat of epoxy on it. It'll get clear gloss on it. I'm hoping the little touches of mahogany will be just subtle enough to be the right sort of *pleasing* on a simple sailing trainer. We'll see when its finished I suppose. I may abandon the thin planking on the cuddy top I previously posted about to Jonnas (I think). It can always be added later, after a season of sailing.

As more gets finished, I wonder what sorts of ideas came into other builder's minds as they came closer to finishing their boats.

sincerely,
ks

Troutlet
Active Poster
Active Poster

ideas

Post by Troutlet » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:44 am

I wonder what sorts of ideas came into other builder's minds as they came closer to finishing their boats.
Just finishing, thats the idea I'm having. Although with Winter fast approaching I see no need to speed up my build, what would I do all winter? :doh:
Speaking of the Cathedral, how did your structure hold up with the recent storms? My own tarp tent, which had done very well through Isabelle last year and this years early storms, had the roof knocked right off of it by the remnants of Ivan. The boat was protected and the area was clear of all tools so no damge was done. When the wind died down and they stopped forcasting tornadoes I just bought another HUGE tarp and rebuilt the roof, now it's green.

andrew lucking
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by andrew lucking » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:58 am

That is some fine work you're doing there, KS! Keep it up.

Cheers,
A.

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:16 am

KS,

I hope I have the patience on my next project to mimic the kind of inspirational craftsmanship you're putting into yours. Nice work!

Boat building- it's a bipartisan passion. :wink:

-Dave

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:25 am

Hello Troutlet,

The outer tent has actually held up for 4 years! But the side panels are beginning to return to the elements. If they were sails let's just say they are blown out. Lots of white duct tape seems to be holding them together, barely. The concern is that the roof is beginning to develop dog ear tears, which of course quickly grow, so they must be attended to immediately when spotted. I considered replacing the whole tent, but the ones being sold locally now in those same dimensions have only three poles per side instead of four. This one was really made well. It held up for the remnants of all those hera and himacanes, but there is quite a difference between the wind in Virginia and the wind on Long Island. We were mostly spared in the hurricane dept. But we had intensely windy falls and winters here on quite a few days that lifted the tent legs and tossed it around on the ends of the lines I used to tie it down to long pegs hammered in about four feet out from each pole. But with the roof startin' to hurt, I do wonder if it will last the winter.

By January, I think the Cathedral will be very tightly wrapped up until March and all tools stowed away. With it right outside the bedroom window, I'll have to prep myself not to loose slepp whenever I hear it flapping! Most wood will be sealed by January, so worst case of losing the roof won't be a tragedy, but it will be a bit annoying. There was a puddle on the cuddy top after Jeanne blew through cause I forgot to close up the Cathedral, but it was epoxy sealed and a small puddle because of the way I've got the camber draining by the console. I'm debating grinding a groove in the caprail so no water can puddle at all. Only an 1/8 inch pond forms now before flowing over and I like the look of the slight edge the raised caprail defines. Decisions again.

I actually think I'll finish this soon. I'd make a push if I had temps to paint left this fall, but the nights are already too cool and damp to paint the outside of the hull. The cathedral would stabilize the elements for painting inside, but I dare not do the LPU thing in such an enclosed space. So mid summer should do it if I turn off the mod brain cells!

Thanks Andrew, but this thing would only be a dinghy for you! I hope your enjoying the VG build. I'm politely envious.

Hey Dave, I like the *bipartisan passion* remark, but careful... you'll get Ralph Nader fuming again... how about tripartisan... :lol:

From the work I've seen you all do (beautiful boats) ... and finish... your remarks are very encouraging and appreciated. Just trying to give back a bit of all I've benefitted from others input. Great support board.

sincerely,
ks

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:54 am

The pictures of the boat look great, very clean.

joel

As for politics and huricanes .... we got bot covered pretty well right now in Florida! :help: :help:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:54 am

As for politics and huricanes .... we got bot covered pretty well right now in Florida!
tersely put! Gee, prayers for Haiti. What heartbreaking news for them. I've got a couple of friends that hail from there. Haven't talked to them in a few years. Time for a refresher phone call I think. :cry:

Power and phones out again? I've got the Fast hardener from the S3 drop ship. That's how the caprails went on. Thanks Joel again. Still need to check the new box (just arrived) to see if our E-Poxy adventure has resolved. :wink:

I think I'll use the E-Poxy for the removeable add-ons, but those will not be till next year. I'll let you know how it works out for me... and pictures of course.

thanks again.
ks