CV16 Caravelle - KS8 - more pictures added

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: CV16 Caravelle - KS8 - more pictures added

Post by ks8 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 am

top water, how did you prep the ipe and hickory?

that must have been some *active* lacross to break those sticks! :)

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:26 am

KS i just ran them threw the table saw and wipe them down with acetone. My son loves wood sticks
alot more mass for stick checks. I started making them because the wood stick maker would not replace them any more.
He broke 8 sticks in 4 months. He will be playing in naples fl at the end of the month and california in feb.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:58 am

Yes I have a reverse, but being in that sort of skinny, reverse would have likely driven any stirred sand right up into the water intake. The water intake is on the underside of the ventilation plate, right by the prop.
Aren't they all :lol: Welcome to the shallow south. My motor pumps almost as much sand and mud as it does water on most days. You would cringe if you saw the places I go, sometimes shoot mud 30' in the air :lol: It doesn't hurt it :D

Thanks for the ipe info.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:21 pm

8)

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Rub rail etc fix 20131018

It's nice to spend 2.5 hours and less than five dollars and fix the bumps and scrapes up *good enough*.

Reshaped and sand prepped the damage.

Image9279

Ground out some severe bubbling glass while I was at it. This one left a big recess that needs to be filled with epoxy and leveled continually as it cures, since it is not a naturally level surface.

Image9278

Dremeled, feathered and sand prepped a couple of spots that popped out after tapping some nasty piling barnacles.

Image9281

Ground out and sand prepped more severe glass bubbling. Glad I didn't tackle more of that today. Too many gnats landing in wet epoxy on bright work. Yes, I know... welcome to the south. But I'll do the rest when I've got an enclosed tent, with the tweezers on the ready. :lol:

Image9282

Quick mask job. As it begins to kick and thicken, I gently brush the blobs toward the big hollow in the center, until it stays. There comes a point though where one can't mess with it anymore. Just before that moment, I pull the tape and blend the goo into the scratches at the edge of the repair.

Image9283

Tape pulled and smooth and filled enough for now. :)

Image9288

Rubrail fix
Mask lower half first...

Image9284

Rubrail fix
Mask upper half next...

Image9286

Starting to pull tape while it is still a bit soft. As long I as I was still able to work it, smoothed the running ooze back up into repair area and wiped excess off finger. It leveled again after the *touchup*, but once again, there came the time when I knew I couldn't mess with it anymore. In this picture, it wasn't running anymore and is plenty good for me for now, as a seasonal repair.

Image9293

Same sort of treatment on the ground glass bubbles and chips at the bow. Just before pulling the tape.

Image9290

All up, it was about 2.5 hours, and used three quarters ounce of epoxy (with a little left over) and one chip brush. System Three Silver Tip with fast hardener. Just about cured enough now at 8 pm to pull the tarp over it for the night and keep any rain or dew off of it. I'd rather it be under a tent, but that is a week or two away.... so we make do. :)

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:32 pm

you're sure you are not a real longtime monk? :doh:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Not sure... would that be good or bad? :)

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:23 pm

20131019 Centerboard boxes

Time to finish up the boxes that were planned around the CenterBoard.

After making a quick cardboard template, the two faces are cut and labeled.

Image9295

These then have their edges appropriately trimmed and then angled or rounded to fit in place more nicely. Two holes drilled for alignment for a *construction change* that will be seen shortly. And the *inside the box* surfaces are about to be glassed.

Image9297

When the glass is cured, they get trimmed and fitted into place again. Then clear packaging tape gets stuck-a-did to the seat riser (stringer) mount area so that a corrective blob of epoxy and woodflour can realign that edge of this face plate to the new position. The cured blob should *release* from the clear packaging tape with little effort. I originally had these surfaces angle forward a little, but I think now I will finalize them straight athwartships. With a handheld GPS mounted on one of them, it will be easier to read from either side of the helm if these surfaces are not angled forward. The corrective *filler* will be on the face surface (on the inside) instead of trying to *fix* the mount for it (which is already painted). That will leave me the option of the angled version in the future, if the wind blows that way for a winter project. They were only angled forward about three quarters of an inch anyway. That means a 3/4 inch filler blob is now needed. I'll use up some of the older S3 General Purpose epoxy for the blob. :wink: This will all be clearer in a future posting. :)

Epoxy/glass is now curing on the inside surface of the face plates. The repairs from yesterday look fine today. They were a little soft when I had to put the tarp over them last night (dew was forming), but they hardened up fine over night. Had me a little nervous though during the night - which didn't add one cubit to my life. :lol: I'm thankful and happy with the positive unmarred result.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:47 am

ks8 wrote:Not sure... would that be good or bad? :)
Good of course! :D
you saw some work of monks? :wink:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:01 am

peter-curacao wrote:
ks8 wrote:Not sure... would that be good or bad? :)
Good of course! :D
you saw some work of monks? :wink:
Actually, Peter, I haven't looked into what comes out of the shops of monks, but I'll take your word for it, and thanks. I'm aware of the manuscripts they tediously copied through the ages - and the beer and wine - but not of the crafts (biased PR?). Maybe you could link some examples? I imagine those monks are aiming to produce works that are nothing short of being labours of love. :)