how to use 1708 fiberglass

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
joecffv
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

how to use 1708 fiberglass

Post by joecffv » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 am

I bought some 1708 fiberglass ( chop strand on one side weaved fiberglass on the other)

I want to reenforce the outside bottom of the hull, which side of the sheet should i face to the hull wall?? or does it even matter???

I also bought some epoxy ( mix equal parts) , ppg americalock or something like that that i will use to glue the fiberglass on.

any comments

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: how to use 1708 fiberglass

Post by 94'325is » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:10 pm

The mat side goes down towards the surface, the woven faces outwards.

What kind of epoxy are you using?

BB Sig
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:09 pm

http://pacificsouthwest.net/products/amerlock/

If it is what I posted above, I don't think it is the right product. I highly recommend you get a different epoxy. 8O

Please find out the exact product and post back here. No need to waste your time and money.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 pm

First get rid of that epoxy immediately it is not for boat building. Why are you using mat, which boat are you building. Does the BOM call for Mat? If not, don't use it. It is hard to use and doesn't provide any advantages unless called for in the design. If you need to use mat, use Silver Tip you can puchase from here it has excellent wetting properties. First wet the plywood, then wet the mat side and lay it on the boat mat side down and apply the epoxy to the biaxial side.

Like I sais above I don't know what boat your building, but many of the builders will go with 2 layers of 12oz biax if they are in the oyster bar areas, much easier to apply. Then coat the bottom with a epoxy graphite mix.

Good luck on your build.
Restored Mirror Dingy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Desghn courses.

cape_fisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:27 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 pm
First get rid of that epoxy immediately it is not for boat building. Why are you using mat, which boat are you building.
You're from NC and have the audacity to say epoxy is not for boat building?!? Don't come to the coast and say that, or they'll run you back to the mountains! LoL

Anyway, I would much rather the OP use 1700 instead of the 1708.

cape_fisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 pm
First get rid of that epoxy immediately it is not for boat building. Why are you using mat, which boat are you building.
You're from NC and have the audacity to say epoxy is not for boat building?!? Don't come to the coast and say that, or they'll run you back to the mountains! LoL

Anyway, I would much rather the OP use 1700 instead of the 1708.

(and I wouldn't use anything other than epoxy)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Which boat are you building?
If it is one of my designs, please use a type of epoxy that is compatible with fiberglass and plywood.
Some epoxies are for coating only, others for castings etc. What I see on that linked page is not a laminating or wood bonding epoxy, it is an epoxy paint.

Tom and Capefisherman: you are each right but there is a misunderstanding. Epoxy coatings, protective coatings for tanks and underwater structure are epoxies but are not suited for boat building with plywood and fiberglass.

Joecffv: that company may manufacture different types of epoxies and one of them may work for fiberglass lamination.
I would not take a chance.
Same with the 1708: not all types of 1708 are compatible with epoxy. Some have a binder that should dissolve in styrene but there is no styrene in epoxy. Either use a proven product or do some serious tests.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:48 pm

cape_fisherman I looked up the specifications for that epoxy it was for coating steel not for building boats. Each epoxy has its own advantages for each application. There are 100's of epoxy formulations for different applications. No harm, no foul. There are numerous epoxies for building boats, West, System 3, Bateau.

You have a good week end.
Restored Mirror Dingy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Desghn courses.

cape_fisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:19 am

TomW1 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:48 pm
cape_fisherman I looked up the specifications for that epoxy it was for coating steel not for building boats. Each epoxy has its own advantages for each application. There are 100's of epoxy formulations for different applications. No harm, no foul. There are numerous epoxies for building boats, West, System 3, Bateau.

You have a good week end.
It didn't immediately dawn on me that you were referencing the link provided. LoL

I only had the original post at the top on the brain! That was all my fault.

Have a great Sunday...raining down here on Harkers Island at the present.

BB Sig
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 am

Please keep in mind that that was not the link the original poster provided. Hopefully we did not run the guy off. :lol: