Rolling and tipping Awlgrip

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Rolling and tipping Awlgrip

Post by terrulian » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:24 pm

I know what you mean about the 20-year-old, but I've normally reached really experienced guys.
Paint is weird and although I didn't use Awlgrip, I went through a lot of the same frustrations. A lot of coats and sanding until at one point it just clicked. I feel your pain.

Tony

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:41 pm

I think I've posted before that the Awlgrip 545 primer is smooth as glass when sprayed, but if rolling, you have to use the right roller and work really fast because it dries as fast as it's rolled on. That being said, you keep building thickness until you get complete coverage, than you end up sanding off most of the primer to achieve a smooth finish, and it sands very easily. I can't understand why you would want to prime over your first topcoat, even if you've broken through the primer down to the original gelcoat. I've been painting with Awlgrip for 25 years and have never once primed a gelcoated hull prior to top coating, but just lightly sand and wipe down with lacquer thinner or alcohol. Alwgrip is so potent, and probably deadly, that it sticks to anything, in fact I experimented painting over bare Aluminum that had diesel fuel on the surface, and it adhered just fine. It takes some practice and the right rollers and brushes, but it's possible to get very close to a sprayed finish with the top coat. The best finishes I've ever got were working outside in the blazing sun, working like a lunatic trying to maintain a wet edge, but I think the heat caused it to flow out better. I did make the mistake of painting my FS18 when it was 50 degrees and had to sand it out the next day. And you know what some dumb ass did, meaning myself of course, painted again when it was 50 with the same results, and sanded it down again, bought more paint, than sprayed it, but in the middle of spraying my gun clogged, not cleaned properly, and ruined coat number 3. and it has remained that way for 2 years, and although the worst paint job I've ever done, everyone says it looks great. One thing I've found from my own boats is once they're in the water no one notices little imperfections like runs etc., I think because the paint is so glossy it looks good no matter how bad you mess up. Mike

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:55 pm

I put a glass skin over the entire hull.

6 oz, vac bagged..then sanded and faired w quikfair....if I do another coat of topcoat; then 320 sand; blue will show through and I won’t get coverage on 3 coats. I sanded 220 and very little topcoat remains. I am not through the glass in but a couple spots.

If I primed with white high build; I could 320 sand it and be done in 2 coats of topcoat.

The boat gelcoat was crazed bad and someone painted 2 part blue and I sanded a lot of it off to fair before I glassed..
Last edited by fallguy1000 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 pm

Maybe I could setup a spray booth. But I have the brush reducer.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:00 pm

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=62330 Here's a post that I compiled from Browndog and Seaslug.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 am

My experience with Awl Grip is all rolling and tipping. I think it is unlikely that you will get full coverage with two coats of the topcoat, especially if you are trying to cover something dark. It took me 4 coats to cover gray primer to get the coverage I wanted. Thinner coats are definitely better with the Awl Grip paint in my experience. I have only been using about 22% brush reducer. My typical mix is 6 oz. of Color Base, 3 oz. of Converter and 2 oz. of Reducer. That generally is enough for a full small paint tray liner that I use with 4 in. foam rollers from Home Depot. I have been using cheap 2” chip brushes from Harbor Freight to tip off, with excellent results. Tipping very lightly is essential just to break the very small bubbles left behind by the roller. The brush leaves some streaking but the paint flows to fill the streaking. The first coat or two tend to be fairly transparent. Each coat improves the previous one in regards to color, opacity and gloss.

What I like about the Awl grip is you get a very glossy and hard durable top coat, but it takes some days or weeks for the paint to achieve its fully cured properties.

Good luck with your painting project.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Browndog wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 am
My experience with Awl Grip is all rolling and tipping. I think it is unlikely that you will get full coverage with two coats of the topcoat, especially if you are trying to cover something dark. It took me 4 coats to cover gray primer to get the coverage I wanted. Thinner coats are definitely better with the Awl Grip paint in my experience. I have only been using about 22% brush reducer. My typical mix is 6 oz. of Color Base, 3 oz. of Converter and 2 oz. of Reducer. That generally is enough for a full small paint tray liner that I use with 4 in. foam rollers from Home Depot. I have been using cheap 2” chip brushes from Harbor Freight to tip off, with excellent results. Tipping very lightly is essential just to break the very small bubbles left behind by the roller. The brush leaves some streaking but the paint flows to fill the streaking. The first coat or two tend to be fairly transparent. Each coat improves the previous one in regards to color, opacity and gloss.

What I like about the Awl grip is you get a very glossy and hard durable top coat, but it takes some days or weeks for the paint to achieve its fully cured properties.

Good luck with your painting project.
I did notice the cure is very slow. It corned on me at 16 hours.

I’m probably going to put another coat of some? primer over the wee bit of topcoat on the boat. The simple fact is the primer coat was not as it ought to have been.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Not that I have done it but should there be concern of primer over top coat or is this just an attempt to fill in a few areas you missed and it will be okay since it is not old paint?

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:35 pm

I will sand well

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 pm

The first coat of topcoat is usually disappointing. The second is "what a difference" and third is "wow". Part of the trouble is the learning curve is steep. Don't overdo the brushing reducer. Just enough so that a vertical surface doesn't sag.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24