FAIRING MIX IN NZ

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
NEWZEALANDNEWBIE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FAIRING MIX IN NZ

Post by NEWZEALANDNEWBIE » Tue May 22, 2018 1:04 pm

hi Guys,
I don't have access to quickfair here but just watched the "how to mix" video and see how ?fluid? the quickfair is which is what makes it easier to spread I guess. I have bought a two part fairing compound here but when mixed it is nowhere near that consistency being considerably stiffer and not very easy to spread at all. In fact I was thinking of mixing my own using microbaloons etc to get a more fluid mix. The two part product is produced by the same company that makes the epoxy resin I've been using and is compatible, I have used it wet on wet without any issue. I wonder if it may be feasible to mix the epoxy with the two part fairing compound as a way of thinning it down? can anyone see a major problem with trying that? Shiould I aim for the fluidity of Quickfair as a guide? Seems worth a try to me but someone else may have a reason not to. Any advice? Thanks John

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FAIRING MIX IN NZ

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:09 pm

I use a 1:1:1 epoxy, cabosil, balloon mix for prefairing before Quikfair.

I thicken it on a board with 50/50 dry ingredients until it does not slump when in a hump.

Kite it in hard with a narrower trowel first.

I like a 60 minute epoxy for it.

Quikfair is a great product and feathers perfectly. But I can't afford gallons and gallons of it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 pm

You can use fast epoxy in small batches, too. I keep fast batches to 3 oz max.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 pm

Like you said, as long as the resin is compatible with the 2 part faring mix you should be able to thin as needed. If you have access to West Systems products, the 410 fairing filler is excellent and can be mixed to whatever consistency you want depending on application. For flat surfaces like the hull bottom or decks I mix it very thin to fill the cloth weave, and on vertical surfaces I mix it until it doesn't sag or run. Great stuff, and sands easily, been using it for 25 years. Pricey of course, like all boat related stuff.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Wed May 23, 2018 4:21 am

seaslug wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 pm
Like you said, as long as the resin is compatible with the 2 part faring mix you should be able to thin as needed. If you have access to West Systems products, the 410 fairing filler is excellent and can be mixed to whatever consistency you want depending on application. For flat surfaces like the hull bottom or decks I mix it very thin to fill the cloth weave, and on vertical surfaces I mix it until it doesn't sag or run. Great stuff, and sands easily, been using it for 25 years. Pricey of course, like all boat related stuff.
What he said! :lol:

I used only West System epoxy and 410 fairing filler to build my boat. Probably not the cheapest but easy to sand, works very well and produces an excellent finish. I only added a bit of carbosil to the mix when I needed to fair a vertical surface.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Wed May 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Check with your supplier to see if they use the same resin system.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24