BBC NonSkid Application Process Questions

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
txjm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

BBC NonSkid Application Process Questions

Post by txjm » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:05 am

I have a couple of questions about the process. I watched the video. Two questions.

1 In the video, it say to mix at 20% and apply multiple coats if you need a more aggressive texture. Does this mean, leave the tape down and let the first coat dry before recoating with the second coat of nonskid to make the surface more aggessive?

2 In the video, the tape is pulled while wet and then paint without nonskid is applied over the paint with nonskid. Has the paint with nonskid dried or is it still wet? If it is wet, why doesn't the roller pick up non skid particles?

I have the boat taped off and plan on doing nonskid tonight.

Chip

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: BBC NonSkid Application Process Questions

Post by Jaysen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:49 am

1. Yes
2. Depends. Follow the “subsequent coating” advice of the manufacturer. If you are like me you put the nonskid in the primer. That means you have to let the primer cure completely or, in within a manufacturer product line, follow the directions for when it’s safe to topcoat.

txjm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txjm » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:04 am

Jaysen,
I was following the video and putting the non skid in the top coat. I actually already have one layer of topcoat on. I am planning on putting on the nonskid in the taped area. removing the tape. waiting the correct amount of time. Recoating the entire interior. waiting the correct amount of time. Recoating the entire interior a second time.
Chip Miles

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Chip,

I would recommend doing a small test with the topcoat and nonskid to make sure you have the technique and proportions correct. I believe Seaslug does his in the first layer of topcoat and then comes back with a second layer of topcoat so the nonskid isn't too aggressive. I reference Seaslug because I have seen his nonskid work in person and it comes out beautifully!!! Maybe send him a private message.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright