99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:38 pm

Fuzz,

All is well thanks, been going 7 days a week with new Ranch projects, you know how it is as with boat, careful opening the can of worms. Been clearing, fencing, all new roads and total remodel on a 4000sqft lodges so it’s been a little crazy. Hoping to get back at it soon. Boat is stripped and ready to go back together.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:18 am

Glad to hear it. The boat will still be there when you get the stuff that pays the bills done. :wink:

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:45 pm

Fuzz, just thinking a bit on boat, it looks like this is a chop glass hull. There is no roven in the hull I can see, should I plan on cleaning out the hull and glassing the inside prior to rebuild? Or should I reinforce the structural areas?

Has anyone ever used the XPS foam for stringers and/or decking?

Hopefully getting back at it soon.
Thanks

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:41 pm

I know in the past some builders would build the hull with a chopper gun and just mat but those hulls had to be very thick, and heavy, to last. I would be very surprised if your hull did not have and roven in it. Without being there and seeing the hull I am guessing it is plenty strong because it has lasted this long. You are going to have a much better hull when you put the stringers and bracing back in the right way.
I am not sure what XPS foam is so I can not say about it. If you do build your stringers with foam the foam is only a form and all the strength will have to come from glass. This means you will need to use a lot more glass than you would if you went with plywood. If you do not want a plywood deck I would use honey comb, nidacore, for the deck. It is very cost effective and works great in decks.

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks Fuzz, asking about the foam as I have been watching a builder using it for all structures. His videos say experimental 😳 so I thought I would run it by the site. Still planning to us ply core. Hoping to wrap up work on the new Ranch until after the holidays and maybe get some boat therapy time in😁.

I like the idea of using the foam for the deck as I want to do a raised platform console (approximately 12-14 inches) of the deck.

Any thoughts on using foam to build a new console (pros and cons)?

I would also assume on the foam deck you could use wood core backing in areas that will have things screwed down?

Thanks again, looking forward to getting back to it, lol about got all the glass washed out of my clothes so time to get itchy again.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:21 pm

I would use nidacore honey comb for the deck. You could use wood backing or you could cut out the top glass and honey comb where you want to attach things and bed wood in that spot. Probably several other ways of doing it also. I would not use Nidacore for the console, too many exposed edges to deal with. I would use divinacell or plywood. On something as small as a console you will not save much weight, if any, so I am not sure using foam is worth it.

topwater

Post by topwater » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:04 am

When you say XPS foam do you mean the pink extruded foam from home depot :?:
Don't use this , it has no shear strength and will delaminate .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:47 am

Topwater, yeah that’s what he was using, I figured as much.

To all: I found an order placed at a lumber yard here that a deposit was made and never picked up, it is 1/4 Meranti exterior plywood grade for $12 per sheet. I was thinking that I could laminate three sheets to make the core thickness I need.

Any clues what to look out for when inspecting?

Would I need to glass between laminations?

Thanks for your thoughts

Description on ply:
Meranti Plywood 4x8 1/4-in Exterior

Plywood Specifications:
Meranti Plywood
4x8 Plywood
1/4-in
Exterior
Each piece of this Plywood has gone through high quality grading standards for strength and form. Plywood panels are perfect for interior and exterior applications.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:37 pm

Without seeing the plywood I am not going to try and guess if it will work and last or not. But for glueing the pieces together no glass needed. Coat the wood with neat epoxy and let it soak in. Before it fully sets up mix up some epoxy glue and spread it on the pieces to be glued together. Clamp them together or place weights on them depending on how you are doing things. Do not over clamp, just enough for a little squeeze out making sure to have good contact. The tutorials here cover it far better than this.

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks Fuzz, I’ll try to get some pics and post. I might make it over there tomorrow on the way to the taxidermist :D. I’m wondering if it might be an underlay type. I’m not sure what the core layup should be on 1/4 ply, haven’t dealt with it much.