Will probably grind out the bad...

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Will probably grind out the bad...

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu May 21, 2020 4:25 pm

I think it is the dry erase that caused the issues. I use the markers HD sales in the tool section and they seem to work very well. Work better than magic markers that dry out to soon. But for lines I use those big pencils we used in first and second grade. HD sales them and the over size sharpeners too. The rectangle carpenter pencils are hard to sharpen without marking up a knife blade. I like the fat lead doesn't break as easy as a #2 and a light sanding removes the marks. I almost never sand off marker marks.

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen » Thu May 21, 2020 4:55 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:25 pm
I think it is the dry erase that caused the issues. .
Agreed. Wouldn’t surprise me if they had some sort of wax in them to assist with the dry erase.

Shoulda grabbed a pencil...

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Just oush test with a screwdriver and cut out anything not attached well with a sander. Make a bed about an inch each side and feather to zero. So you have say a 2" wide hole. Then lay thickened epoxy in the groove and press in one or two pieces of 6 oz woven in and wet in place.

Let it cure and sand it flat. If you have low spots still; just fill them with fairing compound.

Don't leave anything loose there or it will want to delam from hydraulics.

You'll gain more repairing than you will grinding out or leaving weak crud. If it was up near the gunwhale I might let it go, but not near waterline.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen » Thu May 21, 2020 5:20 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:06 pm
Just oush test with a screwdriver and cut out anything not attached well with a sander.
Yeap. Roger that.

If it fails the push test, it’s getting ground.

Thanks as always for the feedback, gents.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Fri May 22, 2020 1:27 am

I know how painful glass issues can be. For the sake of sleeping well use a graphite pencil in future. Odd spots would be fine to grind, anything that's more than 10-20% I'd sand back the fairing tape over and refair.