Best glue for PVC chase tubes

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Best glue for PVC chase tubes

Post by TomTom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 am

I am in the process of deciding how to glue the pvc chase tubes through my bulkheads on my C19 extension project.

In the past I used epoxy but wasn’t totally satisfied.

Thinking of a couple of options...

1) wrap the sections of pipe that pass through frames with a small strip of fiberglass tape. This is then epoxied to the frames.

2) use West System G Flex epoxy ... which seems to have much better adherence to PVC than normal epoxies.

3) use Sikaflex 4200 - I will still and seal the frames with epoxy first - and then fit the Chase tubes with Sikaflex...

Interested in everyone’s thoughts?

Thanks

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Best glue for PVC chase tubes

Post by BB Sig » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:26 am

Overdrill the frame. Fill with epoxy wood glue. Redrill to correct size. Insert conduit and seal with 3M 5200 sealant. Sikaflex may be a substitute for 5200 but I'm not familiar with it.

That has worked for me as epoxy doesn't grip and seal pvc. :D

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:33 am

I generally dont post links to other supply places but the below chart is why everyone uses 3M 5200...

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... docId=1170

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:42 am

Agreed on 3m 5200 or your local equivalent. You want a permanent adhesive sealant.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:55 pm

I am with Barry on 5200. I thixo epoxy bonded some pvc bh tubes and they broke out with a light push one day..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:46 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:55 pm
I am with Barry on 5200. I thixo epoxy bonded some pvc bh tubes and they broke out with a light push one day..
How did you prepare the PVC? Flame treating seems to be the best prep for epoxy.

https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/bo ... ith-epoxy/

https://support.systemthree.com/hc/en-u ... oride-PVC-

TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:51 pm

How did you prepare the PVC? Flame treating seems to be the best prep for epoxy.
I’ve never tried flame treating - but seems like it works - but it also seems that GFlex epoxy is streaks ahead when it comes to bonding plastics...

https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/gl ... lex-epoxy/

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:57 am

I experimented with flame treating UHMWPE in May. There's photos on my C17 page. Just a quick pass over a gas cooker. I tested with water. Instead of beading up the water spread out in sheets. Although you are supposed to have about 15minutes to get glue on, I noticed better wetness with water even the next morning, though obviously sooner is better. Sand, flame and get a layer of Gflex on ASAP. It would be ok to let it gel using it as a tiecoat.

TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:23 am

OneWayTraffic wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:57 am
I experimented with flame treating UHMWPE in May. There's photos on my C17 page. Just a quick pass over a gas cooker. I tested with water. Instead of beading up the water spread out in sheets. Although you are supposed to have about 15minutes to get glue on, I noticed better wetness with water even the next morning, though obviously sooner is better. Sand, flame and get a layer of Gflex on ASAP. It would be ok to let it gel using it as a tiecoat.
Great Info! Thanks. So you would use G Flex over 5200

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:43 pm

I have no experience with either at the moment, my tube of Gflex is waiting for me to put my UHMWPE keel strip on. Moreover I am not going chase tubes, prefering side steering and cables under a gunwale. Just relating my experience with flame treating: it works, and is fast and easy. Don't scorch the plastic; one or two quick passes, at two seconds a metre. Water droplet contact angle is used by aerospace manufacturers to predict surface energy and hence bond strength.

I'll also put some screws through the UHMW as well, both to hold it in the cure and as belt and bracers approach. Since this is on the keel, the screws will be fully bedded in the glass overlaps. I'll make little plugs on the inside if I need to.

PVC should be easier, but if this were my boat and I were concerned about it, I would not have those penetrations through at deck level. Build a little box from scrap ply and place it around the hole. This will raise the penetration. Then you could look to seal or leave open for a vent.