Paint for bilge

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
TomTom
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Paint for bilge

Post by TomTom » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:20 am

Curious to know everyone’s thoughts on painting inside bilges/ lockers? I am thinking of rollering it on.

I was wondering whether anyone had used 2 pack epoxy floor paint? And whether a primer is necessary in the bilges if one did.

Thinking a stippled effect from the roller probably the easiest way to distract from any unevenness etc

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Paint for bilge

Post by Jaysen » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:01 am

My experience with cleaning bilge for "not my boat" says that you want smooth surface. Otherwise it's never really clean.

Also use something made for bilge. Otherwise you wind up doing it again when some engine fluid or other "not nice" solvent winds up in it. I think 2 part epoxy would work. Tinted if clear. You just want something that is hard as granite, smooth as glass, and immune to all chemicals.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:08 pm

TomTom wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:20 am
Curious to know everyone’s thoughts on painting inside bilges/ lockers? I am thinking of rollering it on.

I was wondering whether anyone had used 2 pack epoxy floor paint? And whether a primer is necessary in the bilges if one did.

Thinking a stippled effect from the roller probably the easiest way to distract from any unevenness etc
Used Petit Bilge paint

Enamels are good enough. No need for 2 parts
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:58 pm

Agree Petit Bilge Paint is good stuff!! Jeff

TomTom
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Jeff wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:58 pm
Agree Petit Bilge Paint is good stuff!! Jeff
Thanks! But I am more likely to find an Hen’s teeth here than Petit Bilge Paint!

Only marine range paints available are Jotun. I could either use a Jotun Penguard HB - which is a 2 pack epoxy - or a flooring epoxy made for houses. That’s about the limit of my choices unfortunately...