How to not waste epoxy....

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jlangleyrn
New Poster
New Poster

Re: How to not waste epoxy....

Post by jlangleyrn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm new to the site, as well as new to using epoxy vs traditional polyester resin and I'm a little confused by the differences in the epoxy brands. It appears that the marinepoxy brand is the cheapest, is there any real difference between that and the west system brand epoxy ? I'm planning to build a canoe, then work my way up, but I want to make sure I buy the right epoxy and not purchase a more expensive brand for no real reason. I appreciate the information.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Go with the marinepoxy. There are some slight differences with Silvertip being top of the line, but not enough difference to matter on a simple boat project. If you're building a carbon fiber mast or something exotic like that then you'll find the slight benefit to silvertip worth the cost, otherwise there have been many many boats built on here with plain old marinepoxy :wink:

jlangleyrn
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jlangleyrn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, I figured since its being sold on here, then it must be good to use. I'm looking forward to getting started on some projects and seeing what kind of aqua art I can create.

John Segura Tucker
New Poster
New Poster

Post by John Segura Tucker » Mon May 15, 2017 5:06 am

I wasted some making glue for scarf joint on D S 15, but I used small batches for
Tape and got a feel for how far it goes. Wasted about quarter inch bottom of a cup before I learned about extensions on pumps. duhhh rookie. but that's about it. Tried to use left over at bottom of cups for various parts and sole . Did not end up with much. Wasted some of that as I used a brush. Now I know about that. Saw some cheap rollersnatnHarbor Freight.
Paint? What's best?
Attachments
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG