Solvent for Epoxy Prep

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Solvent for Epoxy Prep

Post by jbo_c » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:04 pm

I've ground down the gel coat to the glass. What is a good solvent to use to make sure it's clean prior to bonding with epoxy? Will 99% alcohol work? Is something else better?

Thanks.

Jbo

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Solvent for Epoxy Prep

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Alcohol works for sure, but I think soap and water works just as good and it's a whole lot cheaper and safer. Acetone also works, but it's not real good for you and not cheap either. There are several acetone replacement products on the market now that are much safer, I don't know how well they work. For epoxy to bond, the surface just needs to be roughed up and cleaned/degreased. Detergent and water will do that without solvents. Soap and water will take longer to dry than solvents will, that's the downside, but what's time to a boat builder :lol: Use it for pondering.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:38 am

I usually clean off the dirt and grime with soap and water. Followed later by denatured alcohol which removes oils and grease. Having said that, i need to point out that I almost always do a test or sample before using something on a project..

alexbalex

Post by alexbalex » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:26 am

I use white vinegar, works fine.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:27 am

Cracker Larry wrote:Acetone also works, but it's not real good for you and not cheap either. There are several acetone replacement products on the market now that are much safer,
Larry will you please tell some more about that?