Best material for abrasion resistance

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Best material for abrasion resistance

Post by lncc63 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:45 pm

My wife wasn't with me on that trip when I ran aground ... thank goodness.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ks8 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:
I run aground more often than most people,
Me too, usually oysters, usually faster than 4 kts 8O With 2 layers of 12 oz biax, I've never even made a scratch 8)
I can't imagine how much more my boat would weigh if I had added 2 layers of 12 oz. No... not *can't*, but *don't want to*. One layer is already on the inside cockpit floor, in some areas. I dropped a few things already, with no worries. :lol:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 pm

My wife wasn't with me on that trip when I ran aground ... thank goodness.
My wife has been aground on most of the oyster mounds, mud bars, sand bars, coral heads and reefs from the Chesapeake Bay to the lower Caribbean, including the Bahamas and the GOM :lol: Usually I was steering and ignoring her directions, while she was pointing to deeper water :oops: Usually, but not always :wink: I do remember once we left Lake Worth Inlet about 3 AM in a 28 Albin trawler, and was hard aground at 4 AM, and I had nothing to do with it. And another time off SW Florida, when we should have been heading for Everglades City, she and my brother were taking turns setting off course speed records in a 30 kt. Nor'easter. They we're going like hell in a 41' ketch, me sound asleep, when they piled up on Cape Romano shoals about 5 am, having totally ignored their sailing instructions and common sense for over indulgence, while crossing the GOM in the middle of the night :roll: Sure glad it was sand. They were the happiest people I've ever seen to run a boat aground, and kedge it off though. Jamaica is an entertaining island :lol: That was before LORAN was invented. We had a sextant, compass, knot meter, clock, and an AM radio we could sometimes DF with. In those days we used to bounce from island to island, sometimes not even sure what country we were in :lol:

OK, so those are the only 2 times I can think of that were her fault :lol: The other 2 or 3 hundred, well...she'll have to tell you those stories :wink: I've got better since GPS came along, but not much. That's why I always put one more layer of glass on it :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:20 pm

I can't imagine how much more my boat would weigh if I had added 2 layers of 12 oz.
Not much, considering everything you've put on that boat :P And you are building a sailboat, not a 35 mph offshore boat. On my OD18, an extra layer of 12 ounce biax on the bottom takes about 8 yards of cloth, that's 96 ounces of cloth, and 96 ounces of epoxy. That's only 12 pounds. The weight of a bag of ice, or 12 beers, or one of your modular cockpit do-dads :doh: Not even worth mentioning on a boat like the OB19 in question.

KS, I really can't believe you're worried about weight 8O
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Always 2 layers of fiberglass for me. If you had seen the logs coming down the Mississippi the last two weeks you would know why. You could hear some of the boats hitting them 8O the first week end we were there, the idiots were out. Nice big 25' Sport boats with sterndrives running full out, ouch. :lol: It was especially fun watching the tubers come up through running fast pulling there tube or whatever it's called and it hit a log. 8) I know, I know, I'm mean, but sillyness deserves a laugh. :lol:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:KS, I really can't believe you're worried about weight 8O
I need to exercise more... :lol:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:01 pm

I think you need to go sailing :wink:

Here's a quote to make us run-a-grounders feel better about ourselves :lol:
"Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left port and the other was an atrocious liar." -Don Bamford

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Even Navy skippers run aground, they don't have much of a career after that though. :lol:
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy