Finish on 3/8 " ply

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
mac4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Finish on 3/8 " ply

Post by mac4 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 am

I have posted a similar question before ( thanks for your response ) BUT this was before I knew I could build the OB Skiff 15 out of a heavier 3/8" ply. So, I bought 3/8" for whole boat and 1/2" for the sole. The bottom will be fiberglassed and painted as per Bateau instructions.

My question is could I now do a "high finish" on the inside of the boat, now that fiberglassing the entire inside is not a requirement ? Was thinking I could use that 4 or 3.5 ounce tape for the inside seams and stain/varnish/resin/whatever the rest of the wood. Maybe add some extra hidden cleats for strength if the light tape and epoxy isn't strong enough. This is the marine mahogany stuff (meranti) just seems like such a crime to paint it. I'm not really after a furniture grade finish, this is my first build and am a realistic. I just think a kinda old school look would really nice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Finish on 3/8 " ply

Post by cali123 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:32 pm

I did several bright (wood) finishes on the inside of my XF20 and they look beautiful. I sealed the wood with several coats of epoxy that was sanded between coats . On the edges and other areas that had fillets, glass etc., I painted with the hull color. I used commercial 2-part urethane base/clear system that was sprayed on but you could use anything from varnish to automotive clear or up to a 2-part urethane clear. What you use depends a lot on your budget and ability (or who you know or hire). If I were you, I would seal the bright areas with epoxy as soon as practical in the build to protect them from stains and slops. I will let someone else give advice on the structural aspects of the build. Good luck

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:44 pm

I agree, it's a shame to cover up some of this nice woodgrain.

On the other hand, you need to build the boat with the seams/scantlings as specified, or it will fall apart. I'm not an engineer, and I don't have those plans, but 4oz tape sounds light for the joints on an OB15. No amount of heavier plywood or battens can replace the essential glass work.

OTOH, I personally don't mind nice glasswork showing through a bright finish at all, and sometimes think builders spend way too much time trying to make these boats look like they just popped out of a mold.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:00 pm

You can't substitute the tape size for seams anywhere. I'm sure that 12 oz biax tape is specified for that boat and you've got to use it.

That being said, if you work clean, you can get 12 ox biax to go almost clear and look pretty good. Like SDS said, good glass work can look nice under a clear finish. This is a boat I restored a few months ago. The sole is taped in with 12 oz tape and covered completely with 12 oz cloth. When the owner saw how it looked, he wanted it finished bright instead of paint, and it turned out real nice I think. While you can see the weave, it doesn't really detract from the look. But beauty is in the eye of the beerholder, and the man who writes the check in this case :D

Edit to say that this boat is stored indoors except when it is being used. This finish would not last long kept out in the sunshine.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

JamesT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamesT » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:28 pm

CL,not to detract from the original post, but I'm putting in a new sole in my speed boat and was going with a very similar layout as what you have done in the pictures. Can you elaborate a little on those seat mounts and how you secured the studs in them? Much appreciated
Dont outsmart your common sense!

mac4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mac4 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:47 pm

AWESOME ! Thanks for all your responses. I will defer to experience and put all of your advice to practice. Will epoxy asap (I had not thought of that), will not stray from the specified FG ... I'm super pumped about this now! That's one cool boat, didn't know the heavy stuff could finish that nice. Thanks for posting it.