Paint Colors Real World Comparison

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Paint Colors Real World Comparison

Post by FitzFisher » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:28 am

Has anyone seen the Sterling Light gay and whisper gray side by side on a larger piece than a paint chip? :help: :help: ? I want the lightest gray for the outside of my boat and can't really tell the difference with the color chips. Also, where does Kiwi Grip stand in the range of grays, as I want to have some agreement between the hull color and the non skid areas. Any ideas on a good color choice for this?
Thanks
Tom

You are what you is! And I is Done!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Paint Colors Real World Comparison

Post by Cracker Larry » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:06 am

Kiwi Grip gray is a very light shade of gray, slightly grayer than white. I have tinted it in the past to make it darker, with good results.

Don't know about the Sterling, the only gray I've seen is Jay gray and it's dark.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Sterling whisper gray and gray kiwi grip on Handturkey's GF12 :)

Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:32 pm

[quote="FitzFisher"]Has anyone seen the Sterling Light gay and whisper gray side by side on a larger piece than a paint chip? :help: :help: ? I want the lightest gray for the outside of my boat and can't really tell the difference with the color chips. Also, where does Kiwi Grip stand in the range of grays, as I want to have some agreement between the hull color and the non skid areas. Any ideas on a good color choice for this?
Thanks
Tom[/quote]

Tom, I'm glad you've asked this question, because I have wanted to know the same thing. I don't mean to highjack and I think my questions may help you as well.

AAngler, that picture is a great help. Like CL said, the Kiwi seems very light. I'm pretty far away from painting my boat, but want some shade of gray Sterling such as Whisper Gray and Light Gray. My goal is to have a color that doesn't glare much in the Texas sun and will look good with the Jay Gray I'm putting on the hull sides.

CL, what was your method for tinting the Kiwi grip? Did you use universal tint and do it yourself? Bring it to a paint store and have them tint it the way the Kiwi Grip literature describes?

Thanks all, Will

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:23 am

CL, what was your method for tinting the Kiwi grip? Did you use universal tint and do it yourself?
I used tint made for acrylic latex house paint, got it from Lowes and mixed it myself.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:31 am

I used tint made for acrylic latex house paint, got it from Lowes and mixed it myself.
I did the same thing too. I got white kiwi grip and went to Lowe's and looked at some light grey paint chips and they mixed. No problems.

Andrew