painter needed

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

painter needed

Post by FitzFisher » Tue May 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Hey guys. I am having trouble finding someone in Florida that can spray Sterling Yacht paint. :doh: :help: :help: :doh: I don't have the time to hand paint 3 coats of both sides of this boat. I am tired of picking bugs out of the paint and sanding out my flubs and runs. Does anyone know: A) if you absolutely have to use supplied fresh air to spray this? I have had a lot of paint guys look at me like I am crazy when I say it has to be that way. (i don't want a dead painter half way through my job)
B) A good reputable painter that will take this on? I have all the materials and will have it ready to tape and squirt. I am in the Tampa area, but will travel a little if need be.... :doh: :help: :help: :doh:

You are what you is! And I is Done!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: painter needed

Post by tech_support » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 am

I have had a lot of paint guys look at me like I am crazy when I say it has to be that way.
becasue they don't care about their lungs/liver :)

Walker's Run down in Stuart had a good idea, he just hooked up a scuba tank while he sprayed

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 am

I read an article I think on Bateau site years ago about a guy who painted outside. He thought just because it was outside and not in a contained area he didn't need a respirator. Well, he was wrong. It killed him. Specialty paints like automotive, airplanes etc are highly toxic. They found this guy if I remember right on the ground dead. Nasty stuff. Believe what you read. It ain't funny. I have been around this stuff for a long time.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

remedy32

Post by remedy32 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:38 am

Working outdoors reduces the concentration of vapors and isocyanates dramatically. That said, an organic vapor respirator is still an absolute must. Keep in mind that normally smell is an indicator to replace cartridges. This is true for the solvent vapor but not for the isocyanates. There is no simple way to know that your protection is not working any longer. 3M literature recommended very short use cycles when using standard O/V cartridges for these paints. When spraying outdoors I usually discard at 3-4 hours of exposure and less if in more confined space with less circulation. Also remember to protect all skin, hair and eyes. Reality is that MOST of the same safety precautions apply when spraying almost any paint but the downside is potentially much greater with this stuff.

Bill