I'm frustrated with wet-out

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Buz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I'm frustrated with wet-out

Post by Buz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:13 pm

I was just looking at plans and dreaming and scheming, mostly of a FS17 (high sheer w/DC), thinking of the supplies needed, and realized that even though I've laid dozens of yards of tape on my practice dinghy, and glassed the outside, I still am no better at it than I was when I started a couple weeks ago. Just used almost an ounce per foot of 6" 6oz biax. Again. And it still looks white(ish) today. And I apparently pulled it away from a BH fillet for about 18"!! I just cannot move epoxy around and through the tape without moving the tape or using a lot of epoxy. Squeegee pulls tape out of place while trying to move epoxy, roller does all sorts of nasty things at the ends and in corners and leaves excess epoxy.

Don't know what I hope to accomplish with this post. I know I'd ride a wayz to watch someone do it. Got any good video links?

Doubling up on epoxy on a 10 footer is one thing. On a 17 or 18 footer... 8O

You only need patience if you'd rather be doing something else.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: I'm frustrated with wet-out

Post by terrulian » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:18 pm

How about you setting up a camera and showing your process? If there is a problem with what you're doing, one of the wizards on this list may spot it. On the other hand, you may be getting results that are pretty normal. It's kind a pain to do this, but probably no worse than the frustration you're feeling.
Tony

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:23 pm

Click "How To's" in the above blue header and you get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BIr0Kq0Bs
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:11 am

Did you buy the tape from us? Not all fiberglass is compatible with epoxy but 99% of biaxial is.
Unlike thin woven tape, biaxial does not become 100% transparent.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Buz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Buz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:48 am

Yes, all supplies from you.

That video appears to me to show about 6-8 ounces of epoxy being used to wet out about 5 feet of 12 oz tape. Hard to tell the amount in that cup, though.

I know I was avoiding using a chip brush alone because I thought I'd read here that it was a sure way to use too much epoxy.

I have about 20 feet of tape to do this afternoon. I'll try the chip brush and see what happens.

I can't seem to get pics off my phone and into a computer anymore, so no dice there.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:53 pm

I have a real hard time with the 6oz biax, the 12oz is a lot easier to work with. Even woven tape is easier to work with than 6oz biax. I've found that prewetting tape before application works well, or using a roller instead of a brush.

cvincent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cvincent » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Buz,

For wet out of tape or cloth, I always apply epoxy with a high density roller before laying out the cloth or tape. Pre-rolling ensures the wood is saturated with epoxy, then lay the tape or cloth down over the epoxy. The fiberglass will suck up any excess epoxy on the surface of the wood making the final wet-out easier. The epoxy becomes tacky in a short period of time and this keeps the cloth from moving around too much during the wet out. You will still have to work the cloth carefully to ensure it does not move out of position.
Completed D15, Building PH18

Buz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Buz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:57 pm

I have tried taping over tacky epoxy, but it seemed to promote the problem of lifting from the inside corner. I think by not letting the cloth slide into the corner. I tried to press it into the fillet first as I laid it but it didn't work everywhere. I will try it immediately after wetting the seam this time; maybe it will slide into place better.

I used a (epoxy/solvent) 1/4" nap roller last time and it kept lifting up the ends where it overlaps intersecting tape and runs up a vertical, like at the transom. And it leaves twice as much epoxy as I should use.

Maybe I should try to rig up a wet-out pan with rollers to squeeze out the excess. I can't see using a squeegee to pull on this 6 oz biax without ruining it.

Should I maybe plan to use 12oz tape rather than 6oz for ease of use on my next boat? If I'm going to double up on epoxy anyway, at least it would be put to good use.

Those aluminum laminating rollers with the "grooved" roller. Any good for this job?

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:02 pm

I'd use the 12oz. It's way easier to work with in my experience.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:42 pm

We all have our personal approach. I use a chip brush with 6-oz. biax and am able to shove it where it needs to go. I work while the wet-out plywood is not yet tacky so I don't get that problem tucking it into the corners. Not every weight and type of glass is the same, and even the same type and weight may differ from roll to roll.
Tony