Fiberglass tape weight

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
cmeehan
New Poster
New Poster

Fiberglass tape weight

Post by cmeehan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:59 am

The plans my friend and I have from Bateau (CK17) call for 9oz. woven tape, 4" wide. The only woven tapes I see available are either 6oz. or 12oz., should we go with 6oz. and add an extra layer when using this tape? Look elsewhere for the correct tape? Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks,

Colin

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fiberglass tape weight

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:06 am

cmeehan, yes, go with the 6 oz woven tape. This is just an old requirement and I will update on Monday. I will also ask Jacques just to be sure!! Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Cmeehan, have yet to talk with Jacques but I will get back to you and verify to use the 6 oz woven!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:56 pm

I have to check the plans but I think that on the CK17, we use 12 oz. biaxial for the structural seams and 9 oz. for small stuff.
The plans should state it clearly.
The 6 oz. biaxial can be used in place of the 9 oz. woven. 6 oz. biaxial on a same is stronger than 9 oz. woven.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

cmeehan
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cmeehan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks for the quick responses: just to clarify, the BOM calls for 86' of woven (9oz./4") and 155' of biaxial (12oz./6").

The lamination schedule calls for biaxial on chine & bow, frames C&D, transom, daggerboard; woven tape on frames A, B &E, stringers, seat tops, etc. which sounds like what you were saying Jacques. Given that would you recommend just using biaxial for all of it or the 6oz. (instead of 9oz.) woven for the woven parts?

Thanks again!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Cmeehan, give me until mid-morning tomorrow (Monday, July 31) and I will get back to you with a final response/recommendation here on the Forum or feel free to call me at 772.770.1225 and we can discuss final decision on the tape!! Regardless, I will put a final answer/response on this thread tomorrow no matter what!! Have a nice evening, Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:09 pm

Yes, call. All the main seams: hull panels, bow etc. should be from 12 oz. biaxial and all others: frames to hull, seats etc. can be either 9 oz. woven or lighter ( 6 oz.) woven or ideal, 6 oz. biaxial.

I have to list alternatives because in many countries where we sell plans, 6 oz. biaxial is not available.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:38 am

Cmeehan, I have spoken with Jacques over the weekend as well as our supplier of woven tape this morning. As of this afternoon, I will begin stocking both a 3 inch and 6 inch 9 ounce (oz) woven tape. The 4 inch was not available and our supplier was not sure he could even find it. So, please replace the stated 9 oz - 4 inch as stated in the bill of materials with either the 3 or 6 inch 9 ounce woven tape. Again, it will be available this afternoon. Jeff