EZ-Fillet - pre-coat with resin?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

EZ-Fillet - pre-coat with resin?

Post by finalfront » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 am

Hi All,
I'm about to glue up the stitched seams on my FS14. I'm using System three, and have already used Gelmagic for gluing up transom and stringers, but for outside chine and keel seams that are now stitched, I will use EZ-fillet as structural glue to tack all together between stitches and then to finish off seam. However, I saw that with flour mixed epoxy the tutorial says to pre-coat with plain resin mix first, then apply glue. Is this the same procedure with EZ-Fillet? or does ez-fillet go on plain/raw wood? (I did not precoat for GelMagic use on transom per forum recommendation.)
wes

Reid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: EZ-Fillet - pre-coat with resin?

Post by Reid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 am

Finalfront,

The reason for pre-coating with epoxy prior to applying fillets is to allow the wood to soak up some epoxy so it won't pull it out of the epoxy glue/woodflour mix. With the Silvertip kit that comes with EZ Fillet this certainly won't hurt but I don't believe is absolutely necessary. If you decide to pre-coat the wood with Silvertip epoxy, just use a foam roller or lightly brush some on as you go. Ideally, you would like to work wet-on-wet to ensure a good chemical bond. If you are unable to work wet-on-wet then make sure that you don't add too much epoxy to the point where you are left with a shiny smooth surface. You won't get a good bond with your EZ Fillet.
Hope this helps,
Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:18 am

The technical data sheet on it does not state to do so, though I would not see a problem in doing so IF you are using Silvertip epoxy. Keep everything the same if it is wet. Once it is fully cured you can go over it with MarineEpoxy if that is the epoxy you have.

You most likely would not have a problem with using them (ez fillet and MarineEpoxy) together but I wouldn't chance it without testing it first on some scrap to see the result!

Post a build thread if you haven't already. It helps for if (when) you have other questions. Plus, we love to look at boats being built! :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:40 am

I don't believe a pre coat is needed to do your fillets.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:53 am

I pre coated for fillets with EZ fillet, the only thing i didn't pre coat for was gel magic glue which is wet enough.
Novi 23 finally launched !

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks for the comments.
There's a few slightly different opinions, but it sounds like it isn't really necessary to pre-coat with resin before applying ez fillet on stitched seams, though it's fine to do so. would be easier not to, of course. so now i can't make up my mind (it's scary in there).
I had read that if precoat, i should wait till dry, then use wood flour glue, but here you all suggest that with ez fillet, wet on wet is best, since i am precoating with all silvertip resin, and not mixing types. this makes sense that silvertip makes their items compatible.
Seems silvertip should address this with a definitive answer. Life is confusing enough.. haha..
w.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:23 pm

If you pre-coat, wait fora partial cure before applying the EZ-fillet and do not use too much resin.
The danger is to have a sagging fillet.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

finalfront
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by finalfront » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:50 pm

thanks Jacques. i'm inclined not to precoat, unless you feel it is necessary/wise?
also, my cnc kit side panels do not have stitch holes at bow, so i assume i drill these to pull together?
and, i did notice stitch holes on top rail edge of side panels - why there?

wes

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:47 pm

We rarely drill holes for stitches at the bow, it would confused builders if they did not align properly and they rarely do. At the bow, I expect you to use the bow mold with temporary screws , spot weld, remove the screws and "sculpt" the bow. That means shape it with a nice curved transition between the panels then tape the glass outside.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

topwater

Post by topwater » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:40 am

I have never waited for pre coat to dry before making fillets ... i have made a lot of fillets :wink:
Close to 120 ' just for the stringers 8O
Novi 23 finally launched !