Rollers for epoxy to wet out ply and glass

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Rollers for epoxy to wet out ply and glass

Post by Capt UB » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 am

I know somewhere it is written, which rollers to use... I just can't find the thread or post! In my past life in working with just fiberglass and epoxy, no wood, I used the foam rollers from HD or Lowes. I want this build to be done right, which rollers to use for wetting out hull before laying glass down? I have used squeezes in the past to spread epoxy over the glass, worked great. Can I use the same rollers on the glass to wet out?

Bob.

If you know where the thread or post is let me know!

I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

1970? 13' Canvas on frame canoe
2017 Bateau FS14, starting build Oct 2017.
2017 Bateau NC16, starting soon.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Rollers for epoxy to wet out ply and glass

Post by terrulian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:53 am

This is an ongoing and never-ending discussion here. To cut to the chase, the consensus is, do what works best for you. I've used them all, including just my gloved hands, but generally wet out the wood with a foam roller, then put the glass on and pour out the contents of the mixing container, then spread with a squeegee. Sometimes I wet out the glass, on smaller sections, before putting it on the boat. You'll get quite a few different approaches from the boys and girls here. Of course none of these tools are expensive, so it's not that; it's wasting effort and glass and epoxy when things don't work. However, as I've opined before to the horror of the assembled, these materials are very forgiving. (That said, I'm pretty sure all of us have, at one time or another, NOT been forgiven. 8O ) If you use a slow hardener you have quite a bit of time to screw up and re-do things.
Tony

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:24 pm

terrulian wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:53 am
This is an ongoing and never-ending discussion here. To cut to the chase, the consensus is, do what works best for you. I've used them all, including just my gloved hands, but generally wet out the wood with a foam roller, then put the glass on and pour out the contents of the mixing container, then spread with a squeegee. Sometimes I wet out the glass, on smaller sections, before putting it on the boat. You'll get quite a few different approaches from the boys and girls here. Of course none of these tools are expensive, so it's not that; it's wasting effort and glass and epoxy when things don't work. However, as I've opined before to the horror of the assembled, these materials are very forgiving. (That said, I'm pretty sure all of us have, at one time or another, NOT been forgiven. 8O ) If you use a slow hardener you have quite a bit of time to screw up and re-do things.
Yes sir... I'm in Florida, I'm a slow (hardener) junkie! But I may be changing my ways, The System 3 products are great, been a West System junkie for 30 plus years and don't like their fast hardener. I did not order any fast for BBC, next build I may try some.

It's really the foam rollers.. bubbles and foam coming apart! Going to Lowes tonight, I think its the red rollers I need??

Thanks, Bob.
I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Bob the pour out then spread with a squeegee system Tony mentioned is good for wide fabric in other words large area's, smaller areas and taping I would use a roller. As for a roller I would never use a foam roller for anything unless I want to be caught cursing whole time, the foam rollers saturate and fall apart, I know it's tempting buying a whole value pack but honestly to me they suck, I always use short haired 2 component rollers as in picture below (I swear bij the Copenhagen brand) as long epoxy isn't hardened they last as long as you need them, they are pretty hard so you also can use them to squeeze air out if necessary , and when finished put them vertical to dry on a skewer or something so you don't get flat spots, when dry roll them in sandpaper and they are perfect for sanding faired fillets.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:12 pm

I've tried everything in the past, brushes, squeegees, rollers....

After a lot of experimenting I finally have a system that works awesome. As stated above I would stay away from cheap foam rollers, they are good for a few minutes, but you'll hate life when they start to breakdown on you.

For either taping, or wide cloths I use small short nap rollers. Roll on a neat coat, lay glass and roll on some more resin using just enough to wet it out most of the way. I don't like dumping large amounts because I usually end up with way more then needed and have a resin rich lamination. These are my favorite rollers, the kit comes with a little plastic frame, 3 rollers, and a tray. They are only 3" which is good enough, and small enough for nearly any area.
20171024_135531.jpg
Once there is just enough resin to mostly wet it all out I use a glass roller to smooth it out, and evenly distribute all the resin. I rarely ever have any issues with air bubbles or pooling with this method.
20171024_135630.jpg
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks, guys.

I do have a few glass rollers and use them. Lots of different squeezes. I used to use a red roller years ago building/repairing our sailboats, they were not cheap, but did not bubble or pull the cloth. I was hopping someone had a great find in epoxy safe rollers.

Bob.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Funny about the foam rollers. It must be all about the brand, because I've used dozens, if not hundreds of them, and never had one shed or come apart or put bubbles in the paint/varnish/epoxy.
Tony

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 pm

I've had many of the cheap ones fall apart while painting or speaking anything catalyzed. The better ones work ok, but I feel waste a lot of resin because of how they absorb. The short nap rollers don't such up much.

The kits I posted about are I think $5 from Sherwin williams, but they run out quick so if they have them I'll buy 5-10 at a time.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:54 pm

I will find the RED Rollers and try one. They are not foam, but short nap (something) and cost a bit more then average topend rollers. Also, used them for putting on bottom paint, they did not hold a lot of paint.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Oh, and one more thought: I can be trusted to screw up with any tool you choose to put up to the challenge.
Tony