Anybody applied graphite epoxy to the bottom during the freezing (70's 80's) winter months here in Central Florida?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Anybody applied graphite epoxy to the bottom during the freezing (70's 80's) winter months here in Central Florida?

Post by Capt UB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:13 am

FS14

This is what's on the hull or going to be..
S3 epoxy, QuickFair and S3 primer.

In Cracker Larry's Graphite Application Tips, It's got to be hot outside!

I'm going to be at that stage this weekend, then use topside paint on the hull the following weekend.

Thanks, Bob.

I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

1970? 13' Canvas on frame canoe
2017 Bateau FS14, starting build Oct 2017.
2017 Bateau NC16, starting soon.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Anybody applied graphite epoxy to the bottom during the freezing (70's 80's) winter months here in Central Florida?

Post by Jaysen » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:19 am

The "hot" is more about the viscosity of the epoxy. Warm the resin and you'll get the same viscosity. You can use a water bath or other indirect heat source to do it "smart". Target the upper 80s to mid 90s.

Keep in mind, that at those temps, you need to work FAST. Small batches are better. Pre-measure ALL you epoxy and graphite so you don't have to lose the edge. If possible have a second person start the mixing of "the next batch" once you get to the point of final spreading. I did it solo (no second hands) and managed satisfactory results. But it would have been nice to have a bit of help.

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Anybody applied graphite epoxy to the bottom during the freezing (70's 80's) winter months here in Central Florida?

Post by Capt UB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:25 am

Jaysen wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:19 am
The "hot" is more about the viscosity of the epoxy. Warm the resin and you'll get the same viscosity. You can use a water bath or other indirect heat source to do it "smart". Target the upper 80s to mid 90s.

Keep in mind, that at those temps, you need to work FAST. Small batches are better. Pre-measure ALL you epoxy and graphite so you don't have to lose the edge. If possible have a second person start the mixing of "the next batch" once you get to the point of final spreading. I did it solo (no second hands) and managed satisfactory results. But it would have been nice to have a bit of help.
Thanks Jaysen,

That a great plan. I can do a water bath.
I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Do as Jasen says. Narfi and I both have applied it and I guarantee our working temps were less than 70f :lol:

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks Fuzz.

Forgot to say that I'm using the slow hardener.

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:57 pm

Here is the link to when I did mine,
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62392&start=250#p403275

Looks like I had 'room' temperature up to high 70s and was keeping the epoxy bottles in front of the heater outlet to get them as 'liquidy' as possible (picture of that on the page after the one i linked) before mixing. I was using medium harder and had no issues (in terms of temperatures)

Like said above, I think the most important thing is getting the epoxy heated before you start as that lets the graphite mix in better. I have read here on the forum it being compared to mixing hot coco powder in cold water vs boiling water..... It mixes well in hot, but just makes a lumpy mess in cold.

Once mixed well, its just a matter of rolling it on smoothly and thats more dependent on your rolling and 'artistic' skills.(OCD)

(this is just before my adventures with spraying primer, which I think you were also interested in, so maybe worth reading my issues there as well)

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:10 pm

narfi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:57 pm
Here is the link to when I did mine,
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62392&start=250#p403275

Looks like I had 'room' temperature up to high 70s and was keeping the epoxy bottles in front of the heater outlet to get them as 'liquidy' as possible (picture of that on the page after the one i linked) before mixing. I was using medium harder and had no issues (in terms of temperatures)

Like said above, I think the most important thing is getting the epoxy heated before you start as that lets the graphite mix in better. I have read here on the forum it being compared to mixing hot coco powder in cold water vs boiling water..... It mixes well in hot, but just makes a lumpy mess in cold.

Once mixed well, its just a matter of rolling it on smoothly and thats more dependent on your rolling and 'artistic' skills.(OCD)

(this is just before my adventures with spraying primer, which I think you were also interested in, so maybe worth reading my issues there as well)
Thanks, Narfi.

No plans to spray anymore... Roll and tip or just roll!

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am

Just roll it .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:23 am

Put a couple of big halogen worklights, or a small electric heater under the boat for a few hours before applying the graphite epoxy, they'll warm up the hull so the resin flows out nicely.

My work area is in the low to mid 60's during winter and that helps a lot in getting resin to flow out nicely.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:25 am

topwater wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am
Just roll it .
+1 Tipping does not bring anything to the picture. :D