Anybody applied graphite epoxy to the bottom during the freezing (70's 80's) winter months here in Central Florida?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Anybody applied graphite epoxy to the bottom during the freezing (70's 80's) winter months here in Central Florida?

Post by Capt UB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks everybody.

Going to heat up the hull and epoxy.

Roll on, no tipping.

Working on hull tonight, Quickfair, Saturday S3 primer, Sunday graphite epoxy.

I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

1970? 13' Canvas on frame canoe
2017 Bateau FS14, starting build Oct 2017.
2017 Bateau NC16, starting soon.

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Anybody applied graphite epoxy to the bottom during the freezing (70's 80's) winter months here in Central Florida?

Post by narfi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:58 pm

There is no need for primer under the graphite, though from what I understand it is ok to put it over the epoxy based primer.

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:03 pm

narfi wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:58 pm
There is no need for primer under the graphite, though from what I understand it is ok to put it over the epoxy based primer.
The QuickFair will not be enough to make the bottom of the hull smooth, like yours!
boat.jpg
(30.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:08 pm

Hmm...
All I had was the micro ballons and cabosil faring mix powder from BBC here... I had mixed it with epoxy for all of my fairing.
I understand quickfair is much smoother and better than what I had, So I would think you would have a better surface than me?

Also my surface was not perfect, but you are rolling on a thickened epoxy mix (epoxy + graphite) So the roller covers and fills all the imperfections better than I think primer could. (consider it somewhat 'self leveling')

I am certainly no expert and still learning lots, but was convinced by the guys here at the time I was doing it that priming was just a waste of time and money at that stage of the game.

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:17 pm

narfi wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Hmm...
All I had was the micro ballons and cabosil faring mix powder from BBC here... I had mixed it with epoxy for all of my fairing.
I understand quickfair is much smoother and better than what I had, So I would think you would have a better surface than me?

Also my surface was not perfect, but you are rolling on a thickened epoxy mix (epoxy + graphite) So the roller covers and fills all the imperfections better than I think primer could. (consider it somewhat 'self leveling')

I am certainly no expert and still learning lots, but was convinced by the guys here at the time I was doing it that priming was just a waste of time and money at that stage of the game.

You have a point, but if I have to fair part of the hull, I might as well do the whole hull! It would be level all over, higher area? I have a small V bottom.
52.jpg

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:19 pm

I will start on the bottom tonight and use the quickfair and see what happens, I post the results. If it looks good, I'll just put down the graphite/epoxy.

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:27 pm

Just found this,

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61797

Maybe just roll on a thin coat of epoxy only on the bottom, and not up from the chine?

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Hopefully someone smarter than me chimes in with ideas for you :)
Looking back at it, I would have put a lot less effort into fairing the bottom (and a bit more inside).

Graphite/epoxy mix isnt magic, its just tougher and slicker.... The bottom of our canoe is already scratched up, but its the bottom and no one can see it, it floats, and the top where you can see still looks shiny and pretty.....

I really did enjoy the process, and am proud of the fairing and how it turned out, but regardless of target quality (showpiece vs 'it floats workboat' of which I'm somewhere in the middle) the bottom can probably safely be 1 step uglier than the sides and interior.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:18 pm

Unless it’s a planing boat. Then bottom fair and smooth is a bit more important.

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:53 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:18 pm
Unless it’s a planing boat. Then bottom fair and smooth is a bit more important.
Well I used up all of the Quickfair..... Just on the bottom! I skin coated it, but still ran out. Does look better, I should have put one last skin coat of epoxy after I sanded. Oh well, something learned! This makes me miss shooting gelcoat... then sanding.