Anybody applied graphite epoxy to the bottom during the freezing (70's 80's) winter months here in Central Florida?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Anybody applied graphite epoxy to the bottom during the freezing (70's 80's) winter months here in Central Florida?

Post by tcason » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:37 am

"Working on hull tonight, Quickfair, Saturday S3 primer, Sunday graphite epoxy."

You may want to look at required dry time between S3 primer and graphite epoxy over it just to be sure ...................

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Anybody applied graphite epoxy to the bottom during the freezing (70's 80's) winter months here in Central Florida?

Post by Capt UB » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:25 am

tcason wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:37 am
"Working on hull tonight, Quickfair, Saturday S3 primer, Sunday graphite epoxy."

You may want to look at required dry time between S3 primer and graphite epoxy over it just to be sure ...................
Thanks, I did. Was not able to put down two or three coats of QuickFair in the drying time allowed. I thin coated the QuickFair and still ran out, just on the bottom! Going to order more QuickFair today, but will from now on mix my own fairing compound.
I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

1970? 13' Canvas on frame canoe
2017 Bateau FS14, starting build Oct 2017.
2017 Bateau NC16, starting soon.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:32 am

Remember that you need COMPLETE CURE when mixing brands. So you'll need to let that QF cure, then scuff coat it before using a different brand of fairing compound.

UNLESS you are using S3 epoxy... then it is the same epoxy so you can get linking not just physical bond.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:01 am

While not required, one advantage to putting on a coat of primer before the graphite/epoxy is to get a better look at your fairing job. You might see an area or two that is not as smooth as you'd hoped, and can address that before the graphite is down.
Hank

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:24 am

For what it's worth, I applied a single coat of primer for what pee wee is talking about. The primer made a few place jump out that I would have missed. :)

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Just ordered more QuickFair, to finish the bottom and sides of the hull.
I going to use a (not QuickFair) fairing mix inside the boat with BBC's other epoxy and fillers.

So now I wait for the QuickFair to come in and do the graphite/epoxy later in the week... Damn, I was moving right along!!!

Thanks guys, I'm making notes.

Bob
I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

1970? 13' Canvas on frame canoe
2017 Bateau FS14, starting build Oct 2017.
2017 Bateau NC16, starting soon.