System 3 Yacht Primer thickening

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: System 3 Yacht Primer thickening

Post by silentneko » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:17 pm

It's to thin to fill pin holes or level minor imperfections.

Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:43 pm

I will admit I have no cue how to paint and it to turn out worth a poop, but is high build a short cut to filling all the voids and well, pin holes, so you don't have to have a "paint ready" finish? Isn't fairing and sanding surface prep for painting or am I missing a short cut?

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:58 pm

High build is usually used after fairing to help achieve a really nice finish. Think if it as a much lighter weight spray/roll on fairing compound.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:02 pm

silentneko wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:58 pm
High build is usually used after fairing to help achieve a really nice finish. Think if it as a much lighter weight spray/roll on fairing compound.
Oh, Ok. Thank you

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:12 pm

There is no primer out there that will fill large pin holes. ySystem 3 will fill very minor ones. Bur if your looking for a primer to fill a 1/16 larger on your out of luck.

Ask Jeff what he recommends.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 am

I can't get S3 to fill my tiny pin holes, have to use Quickfair or an automotive product in a tube called Khombi's super putty. The putty is great with the tiny ones, but not too practical for big areas. I'd love something you can just role on. Someone here recently mentioned using a roller on their fairing mix, which sounds interesting.

Dougster

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:23 am

I recall someone on here talking about a product made by 3M (I think) that they found at the auto finishing store and thought worked great for filling pin holes. I don't know how it would compare to Kombi putty, but it sounds similar.
Is there a good way to avoid creating pinholes? I assume the problem is caused by having air bubbles in the fairing mix?

Found it- 3M Glazing and Spot Putty

This is a conversation that's been started before:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27670&p=263179&hili ... es#p263179
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27829&p=265288&hili ... es#p265288
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60725&p=369952&hili ... es#p369952
Hank

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Hmmm...having trouble getting a perfect result, are we?
Sounds like other boat builders...in the range of 90%. The other 10% just give up. :D

A guide coat is the only way to go if you want results. S3 is not a filler, and I wouldn't mess with adding things unless I checked with the manufacturer. In my case (and I know of some others) I ended up using S3 as the guide coat. You think you've got it faired, and then you put on the S3 and say, OMG this sucks. Then you sand and fill and sand and fill and put on another coat of S3 and say OMG this sucks but not quite as bad. Rinse and repeat.
A trick Cracker Larry used was water but he worked outside. He just ran a hose over it to find the holidays. It certainly is cheaper and quicker than a guide coat.

The bottom line is that unless you are a pro, this is a time-consuming and frustrating process. In the end I felt it was worth it and I was glad to have spent the time. If there is any self-leveling magic trick that you can just roll on and proceed to the topcoat after sanding with only 220, I'd be surprised. Ask a body shop; that's not what they do.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:10 pm

There is a truck... liquor. Just drink enough and it will look GREAT. Don’t believe me, go to a bar and do some A/B testing of my hypothesis.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Here is an article on pinholes and one method of getting rid of them before primer:
http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks/chap ... oating.htm