System 3 Yacht Primer thickening

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: System 3 Yacht Primer thickening

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:57 am

To me a lot of finish work depends on you and what you expect of it. Do you want a yacht finish to show off and are you willing to keep it that way. If so then fair and sand till you can not take it any more and then walk away for a little while to recharge then do it again.
For me that does not work. My boats are tools. Nothing looks worse than a scuff mark on a perfect finish. I tend to drive with the "no fair dodging" mind set so things tend to get a might scuffed. But I do not mind as they fish the same and there is a lot less heart ache when you bounce off something.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:54 am

Good link on the pinholes OrangeQuest, thanks. I'll give it a try on the inside of my little Cheap Canoe tomorrow.

Dougster

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:58 am

Dougster wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:54 am
Good link on the pinholes OrangeQuest, thanks. I'll give it a try on the inside of my little Cheap Canoe tomorrow.

Dougster
Post up how it comes out. But I am with Fuzz, it will get scuffed and scratched. But I would like to start with a smooth surface. It will get screwed up enough just getting the paint on it.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 am

I have an in-between approach. Since like Fuzz, I anticipated that my boat will get a lot of dings, I didn't invest in expensive two-part paint. Nonetheless, I found myself trying to get as perfect a finish as I could when I built the boat, because the building process itself was something I really liked. When I started the build, I really had no idea what level of perfection I'd go for but once I was into it I found I couldn't live with sloppiness.
On the other hand, Jacques has said that he was able to build a V10 in a very short time, and sometimes I think I would like the challenge of building it again in a very minimal way, with no fairing and some cheap paint. But I don't have room, so it's just a pipe dream.
One unexpected benefit of having a fair finish is that even with the dings, a light sanding and a new coat of the not-too-expensive paint returns the boat to a pretty nice state. But even large yachts take a beating and if you really want yours to look perfect you need to spend at least 1/2 your time on maintenance or else be rich.
Tony

Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grit19 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:39 am

terrulian wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 am
I have an in-between approach. Since like Fuzz, I anticipated that my boat will get a lot of dings, I didn't invest in expensive two-part paint.
Hi terrulian,

Would you mind going into more detail about your approach? What primers and top coats do you use and what is your technique to getting as perfect as finish as you can?

Thanks,
Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:53 am

Gib, I spent a huge amount of time reading, watching videos, and mostly fairing, painting, varnishing, and sanding. I can't say I ever achieved the level I was hoping for but it was an interesting process. Here is a tediously long description:
With any finishing job, as you know, the preparation is the main thing but it is not the only thing.
I faired the boat the best I could, then used S3 primer. This immediately exposed a bunch of flaws. I would sand these, clean with a rag with lacquer thinner, and then fill with Quick Fair, then apply more S3. After I thought I was pretty close I used graphite powder as a guide coat, applying it with a rag. Sanding this exposed more imperfections. Others have used a light dusting of paint from a spray can for the same purpose. I went through this process a few times, each time on smaller regions. Finally, I applied two or three last coats of S3. I don't have the thickness in mils but even though I put on a lot of paint, I suppose, I didn't really end up with a heavy undercoat.
For the topcoat I used Interlux Brightside, a one-part polyurethane, mainly because I was familiar with it. (I'm afraid I have no experience with other similar coatings like EZ-Poxy so I'm not in a position to compare them.) I used a tack cloth to wipe away any residue of dust. The technique that I found worked for me, although it is not the one you see in books and videos, was to 1) Put a reasonable amount of paint on a small roller and roll out an area about 3' x 3', using some, but not extreme, pressure. 2) Roll this on thoroughly, horizontally, vertically, and diagonally. 3) Take the same roller, now fairly empty of paint, and tip out any bubbles left by rolling on the paint. In this step, you barely touch the roller to the paint. 4) Leave it, even if there are imperfections, and move on to the next section. You will NOT be able to smooth anything out at this point. 5) After a day, sand out any ridges, bumps, etc., with 320. What this means is that in the end you will have to apply a perfect last coat, or else live with the imperfections. I'd say even if you are not looking for perfection, three coats is minimum with this paint.

Tipping with a roller is not really the method commonly recommended. I tried foam brushes, cheap brushes, expensive brushes, and I tried thinning to various degrees. In the end it was not possible for me to eliminate streaks using a brush of any kind. The roller, used very lightly, worked for me.

One thing that always was a problem in this, or with varnish, is having perfect illumination. I worked on this a bit but in any case I could not get a good coat of anything without really good light. You just miss your mistakes.

All clear areas were first covered with light glass and then faired smooth with coats of epoxy. For varnish I used Epiphanes. This I rolled on rather thick and tipped with a foam brush. I'd say I used about 10 coats. This is not because it got better and better looking, but because the last coat is the one that counts, and I kept applying coats until I had one I could live with.

With all coatings, including this, S3, and Epiphanes varnish, I actually went so far as to contact the manufacturers and ask for help with any problems. They were very obliging; but in the end I think the only thing that produced better results was just laboriously and tediously and with trial and error finding the method that worked best for me and paying meticulous attention to the application. There were a lot of bad jobs that I sanded out but even though it was frustrating, I found it interesting and challenging. Plus, I knew that when I was done painting I was done building the boat, and since I was really enjoying it, I was in no hurry to stop.

I cannot guarantee that the next guy will find my process suitable. A pro would have achieved the same results in 1/10th the time.

Below are shots of the results, including varnish:
Tony

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:59 am

Is the rope a bumper or just decoration?

It is pretty cool either way.

I see little streaks of color in it even.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:17 pm

I think I got that from Hamilton Marine or Jamestown Distributors, but I don't seem to be able to locate the kit I bought and the ones I found were very expensive. The rope is an insert that comes with the rub rail. Pictured online it was white, and at first when I got it, I thought it looked silly and it reminded me of a toy. I was going to change it to white. But I warmed up to it. It does look toy-like, but is that a problem? The colors also remind me of a ship that is "dressed," meaning flying all signal flags for a celebration.
Tony

Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grit19 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:41 pm

terrulian wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:53 am
Here is a tediously long description:
Thanks for that excellent description! I don't know what to do, and I still need to read books watch videos etc. But you seem "value minded" like me while also caring about doing a good job... so I thought I would ask what you did. Again, thanks!

I think that finish looks really good. I like it a lot.

Best,
Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks, Gib.
Below is a photo of my Catalina 22, on which the gelcoat was tired, marred, and worn. Here I didn't use an undercoat of S3, I just sanded and then applied Brightside on top of the gelcoat with the same method described above. Having spent so many hours finding the right technique on my V10, I found this job went very quickly.
Tony