What color paint hides imperfections best?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Mon May 21, 2018 5:55 am

Home built boats, get their personality from the builder... My boat is NUTS!!! FS14, getting wet soon.... Next build; LM18 (Laguna Madre Skiff 18). This is a beautiful designed boat.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: What color paint hides imperfections best?

Post by cape man » Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 am

Camo 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon May 21, 2018 6:53 am

Bateau.com “fairing compound red”. ;)

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Mon May 21, 2018 9:00 am

Never mind, found what I needed to know.

Paint Types
Flat paint is the least reflective and therefore the best choice for masking imperfections. However, it has a tendency to trap dirt and may become discolored when washed. Therefore, it is only appropriate in areas that are not prone to getting dirty. Eggshell paint is slightly reflective. It shows more imperfections than flat paint, but not as many as glossier finishes. Satin paint is similar to eggshell, but it stands up well to moisture and is the best choice for hiding problems in a heavily used area. Semi-gloss and high-gloss paint are extremely reflective. Both tend to highlight imperfections rather than hiding them. Avoid using either finish on walls that are not in excellent shape.

Color Choices
Lighter colors are more reflective than darker colors. Consequently, light-colored paint tends to reveal imperfections while dark paint tends to hide them. However, very dark colors can make a small room feel smaller and any room seem dreary. Use strategic lighting to bring life to a dark-painted room, or strike a balance with moderate tones. Muted earth tones minimize reflectivity without making the room seem heavy and bleak.
Home built boats, get their personality from the builder... My boat is NUTS!!! FS14, getting wet soon.... Next build; LM18 (Laguna Madre Skiff 18). This is a beautiful designed boat.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon May 21, 2018 9:23 am

Thanks for the info. I'm about ready to pick a paint for my little cheap canoe from left over scrap and haven't obsessed on the fairing, so maybe look for something in satin.

Dougster

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 am

That part "stands up well to moisture" is the reason the best outdoor finishes are glossy. The additive they use for making satin or flat, etc. is called a flatting agent, and it can absorb moisture, and keeps the coating from lasting as long as the high gloss version, as well as holding onto dirt.

I think the camo suggestion is valid, or put another way, multi-color. Some manufacturers use a splatter pattern on the inside of the hull, that will hide plenty of sins. Splotchy, splatter, streaky, random color variations would be my vote for best finish to hide imperfections, but if the boat is going to sit out in the weather I'd want to use a gloss finish.
Hank

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon May 21, 2018 9:58 am

It appears that this group has a lot of experience hiding imperfections. 8O :lol:
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon May 21, 2018 10:10 am

terrulian wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:58 am
It appears that this group has a lot of experience hiding imperfections. 8O :lol:
I tend to flaunt mine.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Mon May 21, 2018 11:29 am

I am surprised no one has suggested heavy use.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon May 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:53 am
Bateau.com “fairing compound red”. ;)
I think Jaysen is on to something here. After the red fairing compound my stuff looks real good. Then I lay the gray primer on it........................and not so much :cry: