MarineEpoxy Tropical Slow Cure Times?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

MarineEpoxy Tropical Slow Cure Times?

Post by Chenier » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Furiousgeorge's query today got me wondering ... For those of us trying to figure out our first DIY build, it could be helpful to have a column for Tropical Slow in the Cure Times chart.

https://bateau2.com/howto/cure_times.php

I'm sure most of the build of my MF14 could be done with regular Slow hardener. I'm working in an un-airconditioned garage, some during a DC summer. Filleting, taping and glassing can be done with smallish batches of epoxy so regular slow should work just by adjusting batch size for temperature. If it gets hot you just lay less fillet at a time, for example.

The part of the build that really keeps me awake at nights is thinking about attaching the deck. That'll be a lot of epoxy & filler to mix and apply to all of the frames and cleats before the first bit of it even begins to think about gelling. Applied carefully so you don't have tons of it dripping down all over inside the boat. This is an "all or nothing" operation. Screw it up and your whole boat is hosed. It wouldn't do for the front half of your deck to be attached but the back half loose. Adjusting batch size won't help - you have to get the whole boat epoxied up, however many batches that is, before any of it starts to set so the deck can bond to the whole boat. Seems to me like the slowest possible cure time would be the ticket ... I can afford to wait while it cures, but I absolutely can't afford for it to kick off too soon.

Trouble is, I know nothing about Tropical Slow Hardener except the name.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: MarineEpoxy Tropical Slow Cure Times?

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 am

Couple of questions.
What size boat are you thinking of building? Are you planning on laying down the whole deck in one shot?
Everything I have built I laid the deck in sections. Have your section match up size wise with the rib and stringer cleats and you can then lay the deck in much small sections.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:38 am

Chenier, Excellent point as we never posted the information on our Tropical Slow or Special Clear MarinEpoxy Hardeners since our offerings that started late last year!! I will get the information posted today!! Thank you for the note on this!! Jeff

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 am

The MF14 is a 14'5" craft. Or, at least, that's what my pile of plywood aspires to. :D

The build instructions say the deck goes on whole.

Thanks, Jeff!

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:20 am

I have been using the System 3 slow in the beginning, then the MarinEpoxy slow. I'm building in an open carport in Central Florida. As long as I mixed, then pour out into a large tray, I was able to keep the working times longer... This is has worked with epoxy to wet out glass, fillet and fairing mix. Spread it out after mixing slows down the heat generated...

I have not worked with the Tropical hardener. The regular slow has worked for me down here.

Good luck and enjoy your build. Photos please....
FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

LM18 Starting build in November 2018

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:25 am

Chenier wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 am
The MF14 is a 14'5" craft. Or, at least, that's what my pile of plywood aspires to. :D

The build instructions say the deck goes on whole.
My FS14 sole will go on in three sections, starboard, center, port, using the stringers as my guide. Hope when I am done it will be whole! 8O I don't want a seam where there is no support under it, and they will be glued with a small gap so I can have epoxy glue in the seam. I also don't won't to worry about butt blocks lining up with the frames or stringers. The sole will require two sheets of 4'X8' plywood no matter which way I cut it.
I have been using marine epoxy on my build , mostly the medium speed for fillets and taping. Warehouse I am building in has no A/C and the temps are getting close to the 100's at around 2 or 3 in the afternoon (beer o'clock). With the two bay doors open and my boat in one of the bays I can stay in the low to mid 90's. Been that way a few weeks and humidity very high. I mix in solo cups 143 grams each, that is enough to wet out and then wet the tape for each frame and a little for the next area to wet and lay. The cup starts getting warm at around 10 to 15 minutes (if I am lucky) and starts pulling the fuzz off the roller at around 20 min. I keep the epoxy in the tray moving till I can roll it out. I can understand why you would want to slow that all down but to slow and things seem to want to sag and not stay in place.

Good luck with your build,
Ken J

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:57 am

I worried about this when laying the sole of my LB22 years ago. I was a beginner builder and so spent the dough for the premixed tubes to make the job go quickly. Worked a trick. Get a good quality caulking gun if you go that way. Pop in a tube, lay out a glue line, and hit it with a notched spreader.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:00 pm

All, I am waiting to get the "cure schedule" for both the Tropical Slow and Special Clear Hardeners. Hoping to have it up later today or latest tomorrow!! Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm

All, here are the Cure Times: Tropical Slow: Potlife 45-60 minutes, cured sandable in 24 hours / Special Clear: Potlife 20-25 minutes, cured sandable in 20- 24 hours (Standard tests at 3 ounce mix at 77 degrees). I will post on a new Cure Sheet on Wednesday and then put it on the website!! Jeff

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Capt UB >> Good luck and enjoy your build. Photos please.... <<

Thanks. My build thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=63236&p=424040#p424040