Pin Holes

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Pin Holes

Post by Dougster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:20 pm

This is a followup on the S3 Primer thread just below. I flipped the Cheap canoe to paint the inside. It is only taped and faired with old West 410 microlite, not Quickfair, as I'm running low. I could easily see the pinholes so, as per the link in the S3 Primer thread, tried a quick version of the fill with epoxy method. I poured and squeezed some neat epoxy yesterday and here is apic of the result. Visually, it looks no different than yesterday, before the epoxy fill step. I can easily feel the pinholes with a sharp tipped awl and about 1/3 to 1/2 of them were filled and the rest seemed less deep, so I did one more round of epox
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 01.JPG[img][/img]
As a technique it seems to work ok on flat horizontal surfaces but I'm leery of much luck on vertical ones. Also, it takes all day to cure and since one round didn't do it, that means two days. To me, Quickfair is easier but may only bridge the pinholes vs fill them. Maybe be sure to really press the Quickfair firmly with the spreader? Dunno. Will post how it looks tomorrow.

Dosn't like pinholes Dougster

OrangeQuest

Re: Pin Holes

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks for the update Dougster, was hoping for better results. Your theory on horizontal verses vertical makes sense also.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:17 pm

this is where a simple thickener is a good thing. maybe some silica or micro balloons. the silica seems a little better, but really, what you need, is something to "hold" the epoxy in the pin hole. The tick will be making sure that the thickener isn't larger than the pin hole.

Alternatively... maybe the pin holes aren't that big a deal. Keep in mind I'm the guy that expected (and then actually did) bounce of oyster laden dock pilings on the first tip out. My paint is just there to allow folks to know whose boat the pieces came from...

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:59 am

Good point Jaysen. The second time out I wailed away on both sides of my LB22, painted in Sterling. Several scratches to put me at ease now when docking. Bought my Honda truck used, dings already there, so no stress.

Last night the epoxy was cured and I checked it. No need for a pic as it looks just the same. It's not the same though, seems like most of the pinholes are filled. I slathered it on a bit thick and it has runs and waves and now needs a bit of scraping and sanding. Then I'll roll on a coat of S3 primer and find all kinds of issues no doubt. It never ends really, you just finally shake your head and say good 'nuff. Still, all and all I'd say this neat epoxy technique for pinholes does have some utility.

Dougster

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:12 am

Good update Dougster!! Wonder if temp, type of epoxy and speed of epoxy factor into it.