Safety with epoxy... and kids?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Safety with epoxy... and kids?

Post by Capt UB » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:28 am

Safety with epoxy... and the kids?

FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

LM18 Starting build in November 2018

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Safety with epoxy... and kids?

Post by Jaysen » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 am

don't glue the mouth and nose shut and should be ok...

More seriously though...

I saw the post that prompted this. I think, at that point in the cure, the pliers are more likely to be a problem than the epoxy. If the kids were handling fresh mix... eh, maybe. It certainly isn't a bad idea. If we are talking about SANDING, then there definitely needs to be some protective gear. At least until they are paying their own medical bills (old enough to make decisions for themselves).

Keep in mind I'm in the camp that 90% of the hype around safety is nonsense. How did any of us old farts survive if everything we ever did was so damn dangerous?
Last edited by Jaysen on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 am

I deleted it.

I have health problems for all the fun stuff I did in the 70's-90's!

Wish I could blame all that to my baldness, but no.... Thanks to Dad's DNA!
FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

LM18 Starting build in November 2018

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:24 pm

I think I missed what this is about, but.....

I make Landon wear gloves when helping me brush on epoxy and have made him so paranoid of dust he wont even come close to the tent when I am sanding or he thinks I might be sanding.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:45 pm

you pretty much get it... There was a pic of a youngster removing ties from 24hr set epoxy glue. CaptUB suggested kid should have gloves. That was the start of the discussion.

He's not "wrong". I'm just one that thinks there's too much hype about some of this stuff. Dust is real. Wear a face mask. Especially for young lungs. I'm not sure I'd go beyond a good fitting white mouth/nose thing, but I'm really one of those that says "none of this existed 40yrs ago". I know folks that have been injured. A know a lot that have not. I guess I'm just jaded at this point.

I'm also old and responsible for my actions. Kids don't make decisions that are best for them most of the time. Something about experience.

:)

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Well like most things there is a healthy compromise between two unhealthy extremes.

Parents are responsible for their children's health, safety and growth(physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, etc....)

Everyone will do this differently......

We lean much further towards the methods of teaching him and letting him learn from his mistakes while doing our best to keep him from dying in the process.

An example would be he build a series of ramps out of scrap wood in the driveway, they were very rickety and the second one was just a pile of 2x4s. My wife tells him, "this can't end well." His response was a big grin and "It DEFINITELY won't end well" followed by riding his bike to the end of the driveway and back over the ramps. She filmed the whole think and his head whipping back and the bike going the opposite direction as him while he lands on top of a pile of lumbar.

His head and face are covered in scars, he has broken his leg, and is one of the most intelligent, happy and caring kids you will find.
That is one method and we make many mistakes as I am sure those who know us could tell you, but then you have people on the other side balancing us out who chose different priorities and mistakes for their kids.
I think love is important, and genuine attention and time, beyond that there are few 'right and wrong' ways to raise them.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:19 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 am
don't glue the mouth and nose shut and should be ok...
Are you suggesting that gluing just one of them is an option, I have had a few adult helpers that I would use super glue on...if it is an option! :D

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:22 pm

Children should NOT be allowed near ANY green epoxy or epoxy kicking. Green as in 7 days young or less.

It is the easiest way to sensitize them and make them never build boats.

Uncured is okay with proper protection. Long sleeves absolute musts. Gloves either doubles or high quality (thickster) singles.

Never use acetone on skin; only vinegar.

So far following these rules has me not sensitized.

If I missed the joke; sorry.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jwhitakeriii
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jwhitakeriii » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:33 pm

It looks like y'all are talking about my kid I guess. I didn't realize there was such a danger with green epoxy. I know the dust is bad and don't have them around when sanding and have let them "help" "paint" with the chip brush but have insisted on gloves but I didn't realize "hard" epoxy could cause an issue. Can someone further educate me or point me in the direction I need to be pointed in to be sure I'm not endangering my children. I tend to agree that much of this stuff is over hyped but if there is a legit concern I'd like to read up on it. Thanks guys

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:34 am

Jwhitakeriii wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:33 pm
It looks like y'all are talking about my kid I guess. I didn't realize there was such a danger with green epoxy. I know the dust is bad and don't have them around when sanding and have let them "help" "paint" with the chip brush but have insisted on gloves but I didn't realize "hard" epoxy could cause an issue. Can someone further educate me or point me in the direction I need to be pointed in to be sure I'm not endangering my children. I tend to agree that much of this stuff is over hyped but if there is a legit concern I'd like to read up on it. Thanks guys
This is a good simple run down of epoxy allergies. As far as I know there's nothing special about kids in this regard, it's just that sensitivity can build up over your entire life, so if they start getting exposed early they are more likely to be sensitized eventually, making working with epoxy much more difficult.

Green epoxy isn't totally cured so it can still cause sensitivity, and if sanded gets everywhere unlike liquid epoxy which you don't usually sand. Not sure why fallguy is saying green epoxy is somehow worse than uncured, I was under the impression the only added risk was in sanding it. If you don't sand it I'd think green is no problem as long as they wear gloves, but fallguy please explain what you were thinking in case I'm wrong.