99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Deck flat and solid no sags or soft spots as you can see in the picture the deck is 1” thick
Attachments
77609BA0-7BE6-48E7-BD38-604B5EDA548C.png
Straight edge on deck

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:55 pm

I pulled the main drain ports and basically stood the boat up on end and what’s on the slab is all the water that came out. I would say 1/2-1 gallon.
Attachments
D6C912E0-3676-4E5E-83A0-53274A4E3829.png

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:03 pm

When pulling the drain ports one side had only a dab of sealant on it and I also pressurized the hull and found a Couple leaks on the deck drains were they went through the side. Other than that it’s pretty tight.
312888AB-6FFD-4257-ACBC-E14E52C86152.png
I’m sure most know this but I used a blow vac reduced down to fit drain port and taped off the other side to pressure rise hull, I then sprayed a little soapy water and was amazed to find old sealed screw holes leaking as well as the two deck scrubber drains.

Worked as well with pulling a vacuum, I was surprised how a large shop vac could pull such a vacuum and it made the leaks whistle and a breeze to find.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:17 am

Careful with the vac it can far more dangerous than pressure.

I think most of what you are seeing is just cosmetic and means nothing in the big scheme of things.
Are you wanting to make this shine like better than new or just clean it up some and use it? This looks like a skinny water boat. I have never fished in your type of water but I would think bumping bottom and general banging around would be normal. If so it is going to take some beating while doing its job.

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:37 am

Fuzz, thanks for the replies as I was ready to rip a inspection hole through the deck. I would like to just get it back in maintainable shape as it has obviously faded with age as normal.

Plan was to fix gouges so there is room for my nicks and dings :D, buff out the sides and wAx. The gouged areas on the bottom were really thin on gel coat, it didn’t take much sanding at all to see glass (I’m sure that’s from grounding and blasting off on the flats).

I am going to try and spray the bottom, was not sure if it would be safe to use epoxy with graphite or just respray 2-3 coats of gel coat? Any comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I am not to concerned about the finish looks on the bottom as stated it’s going to get scratched up again, main concern was protecting the glass! :D

I’m not against bottom paint (anti fouling) if that’s a better option? I’m completely open for suggestions

Overall main concern is protecting bottom from abrasions.
Last edited by Explorer 19TV on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:48 am

Flip it. Sand with 80 grit to scuff it up. Wash with dawn soap,rinse well. Wipe down with laquer thinner then coat with epoxy and graphite.

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks Eric, I wish I could flip it but I have no way of doing that safely by myself :D I’ve been jacking up the rear section of the boat with blocks to get it off the bunks to sand. Was also trying to figure out a way to safely get it off the trailer.

Not questioning just curious how the epoxy will bond to existing gelcoat or would I need to sand to the glass.

Thanks

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Epoxy will bond to the gelcoat much better than more gelcoat will.
Wash the bottom to get it clean. The bottom probaly does not have any wax on it at this point but scrubb it good to make sure it is clean. Rough up the gelcoat to give it some tooth. 80 grit should be enough, you do not need to sand all the gelcoat off.
I would then one coat of epoxy over the bottom. After it sets up put 2-3 coats of epoxy/graphite on it.
I understand your problem in flipping the boat but if you can get it off the trailer and rolled over on one side it would make your life much easier.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:51 pm

Explorer 19TV wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:57 am
Thanks Eric, I wish I could flip it but I have no way of doing that safely by myself :D I’ve been jacking up the rear section of the boat with blocks to get it off the bunks to sand. Was also trying to figure out a way to safely get it off the trailer.

Thanks
Getting it off the trailer is no problem. You might want to start by pulling the motor if it needs to come off any way. I see a floor jack and a JohnDeer. All you need is some blocking and a little time. It is no big deal I do it pretty often with boats up to 40 foot.

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:45 pm

I guess you would just block up the two rear corners lift front with strap pull out trailer and set bow keel on blocks?
Is there any certain areas not to block up on as not to cause damage?

Second question,

Would I get better abrasion resistance with tinted epoxy or gelcoat on the bottom?

Thanks