99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Explorer 19TV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks Jeff, they are some of our Breeders we released, they got a busy but relaxing job for the next 5 years :)

Sounds good on material.

Explorer 19TV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:43 am

Fuzz, the hull seems to have maintained its uniform thickness, I believe it was added over original hull for strength. Reason I’m thinking that is once remove I am able to grind to a solid smooth surface.

Jumping ahead any thoughts on stringers, was thinking for hull stability using the egg crate idea (adding bulkheads). Thanks

Explorer 19TV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:11 pm

Hull thickness is 3/16-1/4 thick

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:11 pm

The outside skin is plenty thick. Get all cleaned up and then you will bond the new plywood in with epoxy/wood flour. Then tab that into the hull and cover it with fiberglass. You will want to have at least as much thickness as you had to start with. Same goes for the stringers. Make them at least the same height and thickness as the originals had. The egg crate idea will help stiffen things even more.
Plan on doing your work just like they show in the tutorials. All your work looks good so far. This is going to be much better than new.
Last edited by Fuzz on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Explorer 19TV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:35 pm

Gotcha on tutorial, No doubt about it being better, just so I’m thinking correctly, build the clamping board (two pieces 3/4) laminated together laminated to the hull skin. Then there was another piece of 3/4 laminated to that went from P to S sides.

Should I repeat this?
Ok here is the catch, they had the clamping board ( 2 3/4 pieces laminated) glassed to the hull then put the last piece (P to S) over that and taped in both sides. Hope I’m making since.

There was also a layer or two in the bottom of the boxes on either side that pulled out.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Don’t get hung up on using the same layup for wood. If you buy a lot of 1/2” ply use 3 layers of that to equal 2 layers of 3/4. It’s the total thickness that it most important.

Do the math on what you need and you might find a couple extra sheets of a smaller size is actually CHEAPER than getting different sizes. I’m sure Jeff and Reid can help you figure out the right ratios to keep costs down.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:56 pm

I can not offer any advice but I would like to say it looks like you are doing everything the right way. I have been really enjoying the removal of the production parts of the boat, sorry to say but seems just slapped together. Looks like you are very close to the end of taking out the trash so good luck on the rebuild. Thanks for all the pictures and the comments on what is going on. When you get finished you can look back and see how it all came about.

Explorer 19TV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:50 pm
Don’t get hung up on using the same layup for wood. If you buy a lot of 1/2” ply use 3 layers

Copy that, thinking the same thing, thought it might even be stronger.

Do the math on what you need
Figured the same there is a large jump in 3/4. But I guess I need to figure out if it makes since material wise.

Gonna have to do small bites :D lol it might be on the water by spring.

Explorer 19TV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:43 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:56 pm
I can not offer any advice but I would like to say it looks like you are doing everything the right way. I have been really enjoying the removal of the production parts of the boat, sorry to say but seems just slapped together. Looks like you are very close to the end of taking out the trash so good luck on the rebuild. Thanks for all the pictures and the comments on what is going on. When you get finished you can look back and see how it all came about.
Thanks,it has been an adventure to say the least. I just can’t believe how it was built. But it’s going on the right direction now. I’m hoping if I can figure out the layout correctly to loose a couple hundred pounds. I believe they used 3/4 on the deck to compensate for poor construction

Explorer 19TV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Fuzz I think the next step for me is to mock it up out of foam and use the same size as whatever core I’m going back with so it all lines up and I will have the patterns.

If I remember correctly you said the boxes in the stern were a very important as per structure.

When replacing the boxes should I also replace core with the same size that came out?
The last piece of the transom boards (facing the bow) ran P to S and it was capped with 3/4 making the box tops.