99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Well it looks like I’m going to coat the bottom with epoxy/graphite as per Fuzz’s recommendation.

The boat has rolled gunnels and I would be extremely nervous to break them tipping it on its side, So I’m going to have to block it up and do it from the underside. 8O

I’m guessing that’s going to be fun :D

Well Jeff time to order some more sticky stuff, I believe I have a half gallon of resin but I’m out of hardener. I’m wonder if a half gallon would be enough.

Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Explorer, give us the total area you plan to coat with Epoxy/graphite?? I assume Fuzz would recommend two or three coats?? We can assist we have that information!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:04 pm

The only reason I said to put one coat on with no epoxy is it is easier to see through. But you are not glassing so going with the graphite mix right from the start will be fine. Three coats will be plenty. You will need to paint over any place that will be exposed to direct sunlight.
As for jacking up the boat do like you said. Block up at the transom. Use a strap and lift the bow with your tractor and pull the trailer out. Set the bow back down on a piece of blocking under the keel in the forward half of the hull. Needless to say make dang sure to do a good job blocking things up if you are going to be under it :!:
Don't worry about hurting the hull jacking it up too much. The hulls are always much tougher than you think they are. I hate to admit some of the things I have done over the years :help:

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Jeff wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:33 pm
Explorer, give us the total area you plan to coat with Epoxy/graphite?? I assume Fuzz would recommend two or three coats?? We can assist we have that information!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff, will give you a shout first of the week. This a hard on to figure out :D I will get it blocked up and try to figure out how I want to stop the bottom coat, I’m thinking of only doing the flat surface area on the bottom up to the Ver so not to bring it up on the sides. Just gonna have to tape it off stand back and look to figure out what will look the best.

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Will do Fuzz, I was thinking the same thing about the blocking. I would assume one set of blocking on each side at the transom would be sufficient?

Wasn’t really planning on pulling the engine but if you think it would be better, no problem. Lol I’ve taken everything else off. :D one good thing about it after going through everything unbolting, rewiring, draining ect. I’ll know everything on her :D

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Jeff, do you guys carry any rigging tube, 2” and the flanges? Also would be looking for a 20-25 gallon bait tank I can mount to deck, would prefer oval. Any leads would be greatfull, not interested in anything fancy as I would prefer just a blank tank so I can plumb to the boat.

Thanks

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:09 pm

My reason for pulling the engine was if you were going to try and roll it up on it's side. If you are not doing that there is no real reason to pull the engine.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:20 am

Explorer, We don't carry rigging tubes as you can buy that stuff much cheaper at a Home Depot or Lowe's and don't have to pay shipping. I will look around at a couple of the marine liquidation places in my area and see what I can find for a bait well. The problem will be shipping!! I will get back to you, give me a few days. Jeff

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks